1. * Team Name: DriftMind Country: Kazakhstan School Name: Nazarbayev University
2. ** Republic of Kazakhstan – the biggest developing country in Central Asia* Population – 16,912 mln* Economically active population – 8.974 mln* Overall unemployment rate – 5.3%* Youth unemployment rate at age 15-28 - 5.0 % (Male – 5.6 %, Female – 7.0%)* 60% of unemployed youngsters have certificate of tertiary education (Statistics Agency of Republic of Kazakhstan 2012 www.stat.kz)* Therefore, the project will focus on young people at age 15-28 with higher education
3. ** Sample – 78 people* 48 respondents have a University degree  unemployed 23 people  employed 25 people* 30 respondents are sophomores of undergraduate school Respondents (%) Unemployed with Employed with Sophomores degree degree Consider that youth 69.56 52 56.67 at a higher risk to be unemployed Think that job 82.68 56 46.67 opportunities for youth are low Justify the fact that 65.21 68 60 there is not enough information about the available jobs Identify lack of 60.82 44 43.33 experience as the main barrierThese results contradicts data derived from statistics
4. Causes of Youth Unemployment* Choice of low demand, high-prestige professions* Expectations of higher wages and positions* Lack of practical knowledge, skills and experience* High immigration rate from rural to urban areas, which increases competition* Corruption in tertiary educational system resulting in scarcity of qualified graduates
5. Effects of Youth Unemployment Socio-psychological consequences1. On individual level Psychological pressure from Economic the community: relatives and peers Consequences Dissatisfaction resulting in self disappointment Unemployment is directly Skills and working potential related to the loss of of youth deteriorate as time Kazakhstan’s production: passes By using Okun’s empirical2. On social level calculation it was concluded: Decrease in family’s budget 2.5% loss in GDP is solely Increasing crime rate because of youth Higher rates of prostitution unemployment and sexually transmitting diseases Statistics Agency of Republic of Kazakhstan http://stat.kz/Pages/default.aspx
6. ** To create a governmental – organization, which will found, develop and supervise centralized career and employment centers in every higher educational institution. In these centers both university and government representatives will work.
7. ** First Branch - Social Partnership* Seeks partners and makes connections with enterprises, NGOs, etc. for: 1. Internship opportunities 2. Job opportunities
9. ** 1. Collect objective data on current labor market demands* 2. Makes databases, websites for job search* 3. Monitors graduates within 12 months s after graduation* We acknowledge the fact that there are career centers in some universities in the world, however our proposed solution has number of differences.
10. ** DriftMind team is going to spend approximately 6 months to open career and employment centers* We expect to reach 80% employment among current students?* Career and Employment Centers need innovative ideas and energetic approach to work, so we believe we can employ many young university graduates ourselves.