Hindustan Unilever Limited
• First product- Soaps and Detergents
• Fabric wash, skin care products, personal wash, hair
products, household products.
Mostly skin care products,
positioned as an all purpose
Brand that celebrated
Women’s courage and
• Extended to toothpaste category.
• Not accepted by customers.
Why fail ?
Mismatch between the attribute of toothpaste and soap
Unable to differentiate Pond’s toothpaste from that of Colgate
Consumer refused to accept when
Pond’s label was attached to it.
Wrong perception and
lack of market study
Classic case of product failure by brand
• Change in design and look of the product.
• Positioning in various attributes.
• Toothpaste with new name “SMILE”
• Conducting campaigns to create awareness about the
We are going to segment the market on Demographic
Age (15-35) youngsters & Teenagers
Population of Age group 15-35 increased from 353 million
in 2001to 430 million in 2011
Expected Youth population to be 464 million by 2021
Focusing on urban and sub urban population
• High quality product
• Value for money
• Soothing taste
• Cavity protection
• Objective: New improved packing
Different shapes of packing to bring a new look to the product.
Flavours : Mint
Introduction of different range of sizes like 20gm, 150gm, 250gm
• Objective: Entering into the market with competitive
• Strategy: Entering into different segment sizes so as to
penetrate into different purchasing power segments
PACKAGE VOLUME (gm) PRICE (rs)
Sachet 20 10
Tube 150 60
Tube 250 90
Increase the distribution in the Urban areas and also to try
to penetrate into rural market in the future
• General stores
• Departmental stores
• Grocery stores
• Discount to wholesalers
• Wall paintings
• Demo vans
• Radio and TV
• Free samples
• Dental camps
• Multimedia advertising
• Free samples
• Discount offers
BEAUTIFUL ODOUR WITH BAD TEETH BAD ODOUR WITH BEAUTIFUL TEETH
And for both
odour to be