1. <ul><li> THE THEOLOGY OF SIN SERIES</li></ul> Charles E. Whisnant, Pastor/Teacher,<br /> River of Joy Baptist Church<br /> September 30, 2009<br /> (Photos from September 23, 2009)<br /> <br />So Let us look at this SIN PROBLEM <br />THE PROBLEM THAT SIN CAUSES, IS THE CAUSE OF ALL THE PROBLEMS<br />Genesis 3 records for us the serpent in the garden tempting Eve and her ensuing disabedience of God, and then Adam following in her disobedience. As soon as their disobedience happened, they were both filled with shame; which gives us the idea of their awareness of their nakedness, and then they sewed together fig leaves to cover themselves. And this created a world-wide, people-wide lasting problem.<br />THE NATURE OF SIN<br /><ul><li>Sin is a patent fact--its reality does not need to be argued.
2. Sin is a fact of experience, of observation, and of revelation.
3. Sin is something I feel in my own heart;
4. Sin is something I see in others, even in my best friends and loved ones; and it is something revealed in the Bible.
5. The policeman pursues it,
6. the physician prescribes for it,
7. the law discovers it, conscience condemns it,
8. God controls and punishes it, and yet nobody likes to own it. </li></ul>But as a matter of fact, sin is all that anyone owns; he is a steward of everything else he may possess. Obvious as sin is, there is a levelness to treat it like some folks treat their cheap relatives; it is ignored and even denied. <br />THE IMPACT OF THAT FALL<br /><ul><li>The impact of that disobedience created a dramatic change that has affected all that is in the universe and the universe itself. Everything that was once good now is bad. What we are visibly able to see is a result of SIN. Those who cannot understand the nature and impact of sin cannot diagnose properly the human dilemma. For failure, death, and evil is a result of SIN. </li></ul>Romans 8: 18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us. 19 For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the sons of God. 20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of him who subjected it, in hope 21 that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to corruption and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God. 22 For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now. 23 And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. 24 For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees? 25 But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience.<br />The cause of all this corruption, groaning, ineffectiveness, slavery?<br />Romans 5:12 Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned 13 for sin indeed was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not counted where there is no law. 14 Yet death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those whose sinning was not like the transgression of Adam, who was a type of the one who was to come.<br /><ul><li> 1 Corinthians 15: 22 For as in Adam all die,</li></ul>ADAM AND EVE HAD A GUILTY CONSCIENCE<br />ADAM AND EVE WERE ASHAMED.<br />ADAM AND EVE TRIED TO HIDE.<br /><ul><li>Have you noticed people who do wrong try to hide from the law and other people.</li></ul>ADAM AND EVE BEGAN BLAME-SHIFTING: <br /><ul><li>The unwillingness to accept responsibility for one’s sin.</li></ul>AS A RESULT OF SIN GOD PRONOUCES A CURSE ON THEM<br />Genesis 3:17 And to Adam he said, “Because you have listened to the voice of your wife and have eaten of the tree of which I commanded you, ‘You shall not eat of it,’ cursed is the ground because of you; in pain you shall eat of it all the days of your life; 18 thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for you; and you shall eat the plants of the field.19 By the sweat of your face you shall eat bread, till you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken; for you are dust, and to dust you shall return.”<br />WHY WERE ADAM AND EVE DRIVEN FROM THE GARDEN? ___________________________________________________________________________________<br />SEVEN MAJOR WAYS SIN IS INDICATED IN GENESIS. You see SIN:<br /><ul><li>In its degree.
9. In its inwardness.
10. In the thought patterns.
11. In its motivation down at the very intent level.
12. In its superiority.
13. In its continuousness.
14. In its inclusiveness.</li></ul>Genesis shows us this very elaborate description of depravity.<br />HOW ARE WE TO UNDERSTAND SIN?<br />WHAT IS SIN? First John 3:4<br />WHAT IS SIN LIKE?<br /><ul><li>Pollution
17. Incurably fatal: cf. Ezekiel 18, Romans 3, Jeremiah 13, 17, Isaiah 1</li></ul>Charles E. Whisnant, Rivers of Joy Baptist Church, Videos on: growbylearning.com. Video on ccwhisnant.livejournal.com. Outlines from messages and Photos of members on cwhisna1947.spaces.live<br />