• Special precautionary measures,practices and
procedures used in care of patients with
contagious or communicable diseases by
wearing nonporous articles such as
gloves,gowns.goggles,and face mask.
EVERY HEALTH CARE PROFFESSIONAL
SHOULD BE A CHAIN BREAKER !
To prevent cross contamination between
patients and hospital personnel.
To confine and contain any infectious disease
To confine and contain all blood and body fluids.
• Wash hands prior to entering and exiting
• Careful disposal of contaminated
• Knowledge of disease and mode of
• Protection of client and public during
2007 GUIDELINE FOR ISOLATION
Centre for Disease Control and Prevention
distinguish two types of isolation
Transmission based precautions
1) airborne precautions
2) droplet precautions
3) contact precautions
Proper - handling of
soiled patient care
Minimal handling of
Private room. 8
• Isolation procedure designed to
protect a patient from infectious
organisms that might be carried by
staff ,other patients, visitors or on
droplet in air or equipment or
Spacing between beds
• As with all infection control measures,isolation
precautions are designed to prevent the
spread of infection from one person to
another.The RESPONSIBILITY for the practice
of infection control lies in the hands of every
HEALTH CARE WORKER.