4. Why Big Data?5/20/2013 4Confidential | Copyright 2012 Trend Micro Inc.
5. 5/20/2013 5Confidential | Copyright 2012 Trend Micro Inc.
6. 5/20/2013 6Confidential | Copyright 2012 Trend Micro Inc.Big data is more than simply a matter of size; it is an opportunity to find insights in newand emerging types of data and content, to make your business more agile, and toanswer questions that were previously considered beyond your reach.
7. The Big Data Landscape5/20/2013 7Confidential | Copyright 2012 Trend Micro Inc.
8. Why Big Data Security?FindingThreatsWithinBig Data5/20/2013 8Confidential | Copyright 2012 Trend Micro Inc.
9. 5/20/2013 Copyright 2013 Trend Micro Inc. SALESKICKOFF 2013Payment Card Industry (PCI)Protected Health Information (PHI)Personally Identifiable Information (PII)Intellectual Property (IP)NEW THREAT CREATEDEVERY SECOND90% ORGANIZATIONS HAVEACTIVE MALWARE55%1 NOT EVEN AWARE OFINTRUSIONSCOMMERCIAL EXPLOIT KITSUSED BY VIRTUALLY ALLEASTERN EUROPEAN CYBERCRIMINALSAVERAGE COSTOF DATA BREACH$3.7M
10. 10Overwhelmed by Volume of New ThreatsSource: AV-Test.org5/20/2013 10Confidential | Copyright 2012 Trend Micro Inc.
11. Overwhelmed by Variety of New ThreatsTARGETEDATTACKSMOBILEATTSCKS5/20/2013 11Confidential | Copyright 2012 Trend Micro Inc.
12. Overwhelmed by Velocity of New ThreatsIdentifiesProtectsCollectsGLOBAL SENSORNET(via agents, community, customers,threat researchers and more)Daily Statistics10TB Data, 1.2B Samples, Trillions of Lines (New logs every few seconds w/ 500K lines)
14. Daily Service CapacityProtectingIdentifyingCollecting50M Spam Samples440K SuspiciousIPs806TB Raw Data64K Signatures156M Blocks24M IP Listings1.6B IP Reputation278GB SamplingPool200M User’s Feedback10TB Mail TrafficLogsE-Mail Reputation5/20/2013 14Confidential | Copyright 2012 Trend Micro Inc.
16. Daily Service CapacityProtectingIdentifyingCollecting42 Sources11K Unique Feedbacks1.4B URLs Analyzed40K New Patterns80M StaticPatterns15-20M URLs Blocked7.2TB raw andcondenseddata forcorrelationand datamining10B User QueriesWeb Reputation5/20/2013 16Confidential | Copyright 2012 Trend Micro Inc.
17. File Reputation
18. Trend Micro secures Hadoop#1: Developed a Coprocessor API for HBase– allows developers to include new features andfunctionality in their HBase platforms.– allows for Hadoop users to customize theirinstallations to add new features that are not part ofthe original HBase feature set.#2: Used the Coprocessor For Access Control– allows database administrators to set more precisepermissions for users.– makes multi-tenant usage of a Hadoop/HBasecluster much more secure, as each user is assuredthat their data is secure and not accessible to otherparties.#3: Secured ZooKeeper– Added authentication to ZooKeeper.– make multi-user, multi-tenant deployments ofHadoop more secure.5/20/2013 18Confidential | Copyright 2012 Trend Micro Inc.Source: http://blog.trendmicro.com/trendlabs-security-intelligence/securing-big-data-and-hadoop
19. 2013 News: The Whole World Is Hacked5/20/2013 19Confidential | Copyright 2012 Trend Micro Inc.Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6fzJAKLuEk
20. Cyber-attack on South Korea• 20 March 2013• 48,700 PCs, servers and kiosks at3 banks and 3 TV stations werehacked• Business was disrupted• Banking: ATM, bankingoperations, and online bankingcame to a halt.• TV/Media: media contentscouldn’t be broadcast. Publicwebsites were shut down.• Data on compromised PCs andServers can’t be restored5/20/2013 20Confidential | Copyright 2012 Trend Micro Inc.
23. CSA Big Data Initiatives for 2013Data analytics for securityPrivacy preserving/enhancingtechnologiesBig data-scale cryptoCloud Attack Surface ReductionFramework and TaxonomyTop 10Policy and GovernanceWebsite: https://cloudsecurityalliance.org/research/big-data5/20/2013 23Confidential | Copyright 2012 Trend Micro Inc.
24. Top 10 Big Data Threats & Privacy Challenges5/20/2013 24Confidential | Copyright 2012 Trend Micro Inc.1. Secure computations in distributedprogramming frameworks2. Security best practices for non-relational data stores3. Secure data storage and transactionslogs4. End-point input validation/filtering5. Real-time security/compliancemonitoring6. Scalable and composable privacy-preserving analytics7. Cryptographically enforcedaccesscontrol and secure communication8. Granular access control9. Granular audits10. Data provenanceDownload: https://cloudsecurityalliance.org/download/top-ten-big-data-security-and-privacy-challenges
25. Big Data and APT whitepapers5/20/2013 25Confidential | Copyright 2012 Trend Micro Inc.Download: http://www.trendmicro.com/cloud-content/us/pdfs/business/white-papers/wp_addressing-big-data-security-challenges.pdfDownload: http://www.trendmicro.com/cloud-content/us/pdfs/business/white-papers/wp_apt-primer.pdf