An essay is a short non-fiction,
non-imaginary work about a subject.
It may be classified by tone and style
as formal or informal.
It has many purposes depending
on what the writer wants to write
about and how he/she wants to affect
3. Three Main Parts
It is the opening part of the writeup that shows the topic sentence of
the essay or the thesis statement. It
prepares the readers on the essay.
Therefore, it should be effective so
that the readers are encourage/
motivate to continue reading.
4. Effective introduction should
• Catch the reader’s attention, which
can be done, for example, by using a
direct announcement, a quotation, a
question, a definition, an unusual
comparison, or a controversial
• Introduce the topic of the essay, (in
other words, inform the reader of and
provide a context for the topic being
5. • Introduce the main idea (otherwise
known as the thesis or claim) of the
• Introduce the purpose of the essay
(will it inform, argue, persuade,
describe, narrate, classify, etc.?).
6. An effective body
• Explain, illustrate, discuss, or provide
evidence to support the main idea
(thesis or claim) of the essay;
• Discuss only one aspect of the main
idea (whenever you move on to a
new supporting point, start a new
7. • Body
An essay includes body
paragraphs, which develop the main
idea (thesis or claim) of the essay.
8. • Work together with the other body
paragraphs to support your essay’s
• Work together with the other body
paragraphs to create a clear,
cohesive paper (clarity and
coherence can be achieved through
the use of transitions)
An essay ends with a brief
conclusion, which brings the essay to
a logical end. An effective conclusion
predicting an outcome to the
giving an opinion
11. • Remind readers of the primary focus
of the essay, which can be done by
restating the main idea in different
• Avoid introducing new ideas;
• Avoid apologies.
12. TYPES OF AN ESSAY
13. FORMAL ESSAY
This is known as impersonal
essay. The content is
informative and scientific in
nature. The writer uses the
“aesthetic” approach in
language and style.
14. INFORMAL ESSAY
It is called familiar or personal
essay. It expresses personal
experiences or observation on
human nature. Its purpose is to
entertain rather than to inform.
15. FORMS OF ESSAY
16. • DESCRIPTIVE ESSAY
It is an essay that illustrates by
using sensory words in order to
bring to the reader’s imagination what
is being talked about.
17. • NARRATIVE ESSAY
It is an essay that tells a story of
the writer or other’s story. It is usually
found in the feature writing sections
of newspaper or magazine
18. • EXPOSITORY ESSAY
It is an essay that explains
something so that reader can
19. • PERSUASIVE ESSAY
It is an essay that convinces
the reader to think in a certain way.
20. Elements of an Essay
• Audience- It refers to whom the essay
is intended for.
• Purpose- It refers to the intention or
goal in writing the essay.
• Subject- It is the topic discussed in
• Point of view- It is the how the ideas
are told to the reader
21. • Theme- It refers to the lesson or
message of the essay.
• Mood- It refers to the feeling which
the writer would like the reader to
experience or get from the literary
• Tone- It is the attitude of the writer
towards his/her subject
22. • Style- This is the special way in
which the ideas of the essay are