10 Tips for Teachers of10 Tips for Teachers of
Young Learners Workshop
To think about…To think about…
It is believed that from a teacher's point
of view, elementary school children are
the most gratifying age level to work with.
At this age Ss possess three very
important conditions before they even
enter the classroom:
3.the least self-conscious of all levels.
+ they learn very quickly.
Tips for Teaching ChildrenTips for Teaching Children
1. Make the rules: from the first day of
2. Try to remember the students'
names the first time you meet them.
Encourage all students to remember their
( next slide)
Use their names often when teaching
ie. talking to them,
constructing blackboard sentences,
students passing back notebooks or
playing games, etc.
3. Show your students what to do.
Don't explain. Just do. Just be.
They will follow your lead. English needs
to be experienced, not explained.
4. Nourish trust between you and the
students with each class.
Through your actions let them know that
you will never embarrass them for making
a mistake in English.
5. Use eye contact to communicate your
praise and disappointment.
6. Create well-planned, consistent
lessons with a predictable format :
Gives the students a sense of security
and balance more confident if they
know what to expect.
7. Always be pleasantly surprised when
students interact with each other or with
you in English.
8. Reassure your students that you
understand their English and you
approve of their attempts.
9. Show respect to the children (since
they are worthy of it) and let them
sometimes be the teacher.
10. Use English as a tool to build their
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.