1. Putting Your Best FootForward in a Digital LandscapeDon Anque, J.D.Christopher Doval, Esq.Reginald F. Lewis School of Business at Virginia State UniversityElin Cortijo-Doval, PhD.Reginald F. Lewis School of Business at Virginia State University
2. You and your business gain instantcredibility with a strong, often simple,web presence.Any potentially self-identifying pieceof information is now a commodity.
3. Your Digital Identity• Victor asks for directions.• 7 Christopher Dovals have discovered the Internet. • Athletes • Cuban• Pete, Dealer of Drugs• Former Congressman Anthony Weiner • The Internet is forever• A young girl and her grandmother’s millions.
4. 1(a). Plan of Attack• Every interaction is valuable. • First impressions happen in the first 3 pages of a Google search.• Who do you want to be? • You can be anyone!• Who are you now? • Can you be saved? Maybe
5. Keeping it professional…
6. 1(b). Plan of Attack• What will you put on the Internet? • Michael Phelps – Photo smoking marijuana • Rashard Mendenhall(Steelers Runningback) via Twitter • “It’s amazing how people can HATE a man they have never even heard speak. We’ve only heard one side…” • Twitter remarks – From what you are doing to your thoughts on homosexuality. • Conference attendance and important work • Watch for breach of confidentiality
7. 2. Consolidate and Repair• Submit takedown requests to public records aggregators • Pipl and Spokeo • My father’s first wife• Delete old and unused accounts • Blogs • Email Accounts • AIM • Twitter • Myspace or Friendster • Flickr, Picasa• Decisively set to Private or Anonymous • Job search problems • Posts on Forums – Asking IT help • Public computers• Cut off the dead wood• You are who you hang out with
9. 3. Adoption Examples and ShamelessSelf-promotion• christopherdoval.com • URL• chrisdoval • AIM• email@example.com • Email• www.linkedin.com/in/christopherdoval • Linkedin• www.facebook.com/chrisdoval • Facebook• N/A • Google+• @chrisdoval • TwitterThese were all that were available.
10. The Minimalist approach is easiest to control.
11. 4. Create – Regularly and Well Placed• Content • Strategic Guest Content • Blog and Collaboration • vCard • Blog posts • Resume • Podcasts • Contact Info • Organizations • Services • IT • Prolonged absence may • Professional Advice result in loss of faith • eBook from consuming public. • Newsletters• Not exhaustive
12. 5. Ask for help• Brandyourself.com• Reputation.com• SEO• Web Developer
13. An Anecdote
14. An aggressive governance of one’sprofessional web presence does getresults.• Key word Ads• Speaking opportunities• Articles and Posts• Job Opportunities