Better understanding HIPPA and our responsibility as Providers: Avoidance Techniques
Better Understanding HIPAA and Our
Responsibility as Providers
Ciera D Moore
Patient Confidentiality and Privacy
• Understanding the true meaning and
importance of Patient Confidentiality is
knowledge that has to be obtained from the
source of regulation
• The information HIPAA Protects
– Protected and de-identified Health information
• HIPAA created and regulates the privacy rule
– This rule provides federal protection to patients
health information that is held by covered entities
and their business partners.
– Patient rights are important
– This rule allows for disclosure of information when
needed for patient care and treatment
How do we abide
• Consent is key to abiding by HIPAA regulations
• Taking a proactive approach to patient privacy
is key to abiding by HIPAA regulations
• Respecting patients wishes and following
them will help abide by HIPAA regulations
• Most importantly utilizing technology in a way
that we acknowledge the risk and proactively
avoid violation of patients privacy.
• Do not leave a workstation logged on to patient
• Do not repeat patient information when
unauthorized personal are around
• Utilize computer based filing in order to protect
patient information from people who may break
into paper files.
• Change passwords for provider logins in order to
avoid someone stealing your password and
accessing patient information.
• Set reminders utilizing 24 me to log out when
a session is complete
• Do not just jot down patient information on a
piece of paper.
• Be sure that the most protected patient
storing information system is utilized at all
• HIPAA is very serious and our patients deserve
the best care possible therefore it is our duty
to protect their information to the best of our
abilities utilizing all lines of defense against
violating patient privacy and confidentiality.
• U.S. Department of Health & Human Services. (2013). Understanding Health Information
Privacy. Retrieved from: http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/index.html