1. What were the two areas that
the Romans were famous for?
2. What architectural design is
seen throughout some of our own
3. What other feature were the
Romans known for which helped
bring water to areas within the
3. decline in trade
4. Give three economic (money)
reasons why the Roman Empire
5. An arched structure used to
hold up a ceiling or a roof.
6. A roof shaped like a half-circle
7. What is the term that states a
popular saying that is meant to
express something wise or true?
Feudalism in Western
1. Crowned Holy Roman Emperor
2. Ruled the Franks from 768 to 814 ce
3. United the Christian lands of Europe
8. Give three facts about
To provide protection
and to be loyal to their
9. What is the main job of a
10. What is the term of land
granted by a lord to a vassal in
exchange for loyalty and service?
There was no central
11. Why did the Roman Empire
12. A system of organizing people
into ranks, with those of higher
rank having more power and
Chapter 3~The Role
of the Church in
Answers will vary
13. Give three examples of medieval
1. Owned valuable property & land
2. Everything evolved around the church.
3. Church officials were leaders in the government.
14. Give three facts about the
Catholic Church during the
A person that goes on a sacred journey for
penance, to cure the sick or to worship.
15. Describe a pilgrim
Possible Answers: The Catholic Church has the power to
excommunicate, to stop selling of official positions and to
prohibit bishops electing kings to powerful positions
within the church.
16. Explain why the Catholic
Church was powerful.
To read from the Bible. To teach others
about religion and to help with
17. Why would a church official
need to be educated?
By River: protection & trade
By Trade Routes: to help their towns
prosper through traveling merchants.
18. Why were many medieval towns
built by rivers and trade routes?
An organization of people in the same
craft or trade that limits the amount of
people who practice that trade in a town.
This is done for supply and demand as
well as pride in one’s work.
19. Explain the purpose of a guild.
20. What group of people continued to
thrive not only in politics, but also
It allows a craftspeople or a certain area
to concentrate in one area so they are
known for that specific craft.
21. What does “specialization” mean
in the world of trade?
22. What is the term of the body of
rulings made by judges that become
part of a nation’s legal system?
30. What was the capital of the
He took the laws from the
31. Where did Justinian get many of
the laws that he simplified and threw
It represented heaven.
32. What is the significance of the
dome in many of the churches in the
33. What is the term of a bishop in the
Eastern Orthodox Church?
1. It was surrounded on three sides of water.
2. It was located at the crossroads of Europe and Asia.
3. It had a harbor that could easily be blocked against
enemy ships. (through the use of a chain)
34. Give three examples of
35. Who was responsible for
rebuilding Constantinople after a riot
that was meant for its emperor?
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.