1. decline of feudalismH: Breakdown of the feudal system due to politicalchanges in England, the plague and the Hundred Years’War.
2. habeas corpusI: The principle that accused persons cannot be heldin jail without the consent of a court.
3. Magna CArtaF: Written in 1215 and it limited the king’s power andstrengthened that of the nobles.
4. hereticB: A person who holds beliefs that are contrary tothe teachings of a church or other group.
5. LongbowE: A large bow used for firing feathered arrows
6. commonerJ: A person who is not of noble rank
7. Hundred Years’ WarC: Between 1337 and 1453, France and Englandfought a series of wars. This conflict changed the waywars were fought and shifted power from the feudallords to monarchs and the common people.
11. How did the Black Death start and where do they think it originated from?The Black Death began by a bacteria in fleas. Thesefleas were on rats that were on many trade ships.These ships docked at various ports and that is howthe Black Death spread rapidly throughout Europeand Asia.Historians believe it started in Central Asia, probablyChina.
12. Which group was blamed for the spread of thedisease? Why was this group blamed for the disease? Jews were blamed for this disease because their living conditions were much cleaner than that of Christians. These clean living conditions attracted less rats which is a reason why the Jews were less likley to become infected with the Black Death.
13. Why did the plague shift economically and socially?The Plague shifted economically because many of thepeople that survived the plague were able to ask formore wages and better working conditions.The Plague shifted socially because the lower classpeople went up in the social hierarchy because theyhad more money to live better lives.
14. How does the evidence of the black plague starting in a city known for its trading, help support the historians’ theory of how it spread? Since the Black Death started in Europe at the city of Kaffa which is off the coast of the Black Sea, the historians’ theory of the Black Death came from infected rats onboard Trade ships is most likely accurate.
15. How did the bubonic plague help bring down feudalism?The Bubonic Plague brought down feudalism becauseit allowed lower class citizens to ask for higher wagesand better working conditions. The feudal hierarchybasically became non-existent.
16. What were some of the reasons whythe barons/lords were upset with king john? King John lost many of England’s lands to France. He would raise taxes to replenish his treasury and he would throw people in jail for no apparent reason just to collect a fine for their release. King John also put people’s “afterlife” in jeopardy because he would fight with the church and then the church excommunicated him.
17. What two groups were now allowed to join King Edward I’s model parliament?The two groups that were now allowed in King EdwardI’s model parliament are: commoners and low rankingclergy members.
18. How did the Magna Carta help bring down feudalism?The Magna Carta helped bring down feudalism becauseit set limits to a king’s power and the king now had toanswer to a panel of lords/barons as well as churchofficials before any new laws or other important issuesthat could affect England.
19. Why was the Hundred Years’ War fought?The Hundred Years’ War was fought because Francelost lands to England and France wanted them back.
20. Why were the English at an advantage over the French in the early stages of the Hundred Years’ War? The English were at an advantage because of the use of longbows and lighter armor. These new military tactics made the English more successful during many battles in the Hundred Years’ War.
21. How did the Hundred Years’ War help bring down feudalism?The Hundred Years’ War helped bring down feudalismbecause these wars shifted the control away from thelords and gave it back to the king as well as thecommoners.The notion of a paid army came into existence duringthe Hundred Years’ War.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.