1. How did the Islamic religion reach West Africa? Whatbrought Islam to this region?The Islamic religion reached West Africa because ofthe trans-Saharan trade.Missionaries and Muslim traders brought Islam to thisregion.
2. WHICH NORTHERN MUSLIM GROUP CAUSED THE ISLAMICRELIGION TO SPREAD MORE THROUGHOUT GHANA?The Almoravids conquered Ghana is this helpedspread the Islamic religion.
3. WHO WAS MANSA MUSA AND WHY WAS HE IMPORTANT TO THEISLAMIC RELIGION?Mansa Musa was the ruler of the Mali Empire whichwas now in the location of Ghana.Mansa Musa was a Muslim so Mali became the majorcrossroad of the Islamic world.He was the ﬁrst West African ruler to practice Islam.
4. LIST SOME OF MANSA MUSA’S ITEMS THAT HE BROUGHT ONTHE HAJJ TO MAKKAH. WHY DO YOU THINK HE BROUGHT ALL OFTHESE LUXURIOUS GOODS?He brought 500 slaves, 200 camels, 30,000 pound ofgold, clothing, food and supplies.Mansa Musa knew that people in Arabia would beimpressed by all of these luxurious goods so theywould continue to trade with Mali.
5. WHY DO YOU THINK THE PEOPLE OF ARABIA BOWED TOMANSA MUSA AS HE WAS ON HIS WAY TO MAKKAH?In the eyes of the Arabian people, Mansa Musa was aMuslim ruler in another area who had great wealth.
6. BRIEFLY DESCRIBE SONGHAI’S EMPIRE.The Songhai empire took over after the Mali empiredeclined. At ﬁrst, the empire wasn’t serious about theIslamic religion until a Muslim ruler took the throne.
1. Describe the festival of Eid al-Fitr.Eid a-Fitr is the last day of Ramadan. It is a Muslimreligious festival that takes after a main event inAbraham’s life.
2. LIST SOME OF THE WEST AFRICANS RITUALS THEY STILLKEPT EVEN THOUGH THEY PRACTICED ISLAM.West Africans still practiced the following:Show respect for the spirits of dead ancestors.Use of amulets or charms that they believedwould help someone in need from harm.
3. WHY WAS IBN BATTUTA UPSET ABOUT SOME OF THE WESTAFRICAN RITUALS?Ibn Battuta was upset because the women of WestAfrica went unclothed in public,West African Muslimsthrowing dust over the head.
1. EXPLAIN THE NEW LINE OF SUCCESSION IN WEST AFRICA.West Africa used to be matrilineal, but under Muslimrule, it had to be patrilineal which means that when aruler dies...succession is passed down from father toson.
2. HOW DID THE ADOPTION OF A NEW STRUCTURE OF MUSLIMGOVERNMENT AFFECT WEST AFRICAN KINGS?The West African government became morecentralized which means the West African kings hadmore control over the local rulers.
3. WHAT IS SHARI’AH AND HOW DID THIS AFFECT WEST AFRICA?Shari’ah is Islamic law and this meant that the laws ofAfrica which may/may not have been written down,now has to be recorded and followed through thesame way in each region.
1. WHAT WAS TIMBUKTU?Timbuktu was a learning center within West Africa.It became famous for its Islamic scholars because ithoused many universities.
2. WHAT WERE SOME OF THE AREAS OF STUDY THAT WEREOFFERED AT TIMBUKTU?Some of the areas that were studied in Timbuktuwere:Qur’an, Islamic studies, law, literature.Advancement in studies included:medicine, surgery, astronomy, mathematics,physics, chemistry, philosophy, geography, artor history.
1. WHAT WAS THE MAIN PURPOSE OF HAVING BEAMSPROJECTING OUT OF MOSQUES IN WEST AFRICA?When a building needed work to be done, thesebeams allowed for easier repairs.They became knownas the building’s scaffolding.