THE DANISH MODEL
• KODA administers public performance rights for 30k Danish composers,
songwriters and music publishers + reciprocal contracts with foreign sister
• KODA payments represent about 30-40% of an established, young artists’
• KODA works; tightly knit, accepted, unrivaled.
• Broadcast and cable represent about 75% of KODAs income.
• CC irrelevant without KODA’s support
• For CC, KODA helps gain trust from artists
• KODA wants to appear dynamic & up-to-date, get goodwill from artists
* Mikael Simpson - http://www.mikaelsimpson.dk/
THE DANISH MODEL
• KODA members (and all rights holders) must read and sign an agreement
prior to using the CC license engine.
• NC only. NC to be interpreted following CC guidelines speciﬁc to the
• Broadcasters (except non-proﬁt local radio with zero ad revenue) are
• No ads.
• KODA touts irrevocability, potential errors, administrative / practical
inability to collect / enforce licenses; “The license is eternal and KODA
cannot start collecting towards non-commercial use in the future since
waiving the agreement would be without effect.”
• The ﬁne print: CC DK GUIDELINES for interpretation of “non-
by DR.THOMAS RIIS, Copenhagen Business School (Legal Project Lead)
• “Non-Commercial user” is
• 1. An individual
• 2. A non-proﬁt educational institution or a public library
• 3. A non-proﬁt organisation, institution charitable organisation etc.
• ISPs, copyshops and other service providers acting on behalf of a “Non-
Commercial user” --> non-commercial
• Advertising etc.
• a: if work is used in connection with advertising, sponsorship or promotion of
third party products or services --> commercial
• b: If a webpage contains “click through” ads etc. in order get access to CC
content --> commercial
• “Remuneration as a condition of use”
• a) services
• - If a consideration in money or money’s worth is received for a service
provided in connection with a Creative Commons licensed work -->
• - If a remuneration is received for a service provided (e.g. by a copy shop) on
behalf of a user and this service is of limited signiﬁcance and subsidiary to the
use of the licensed work (e.g. a compendium for a course at an educational
institution) --> non-commercial
• b:) concerning works
• - if money / other value is exchanged in connection to the use of the CC-
licensed work --> commercial
• If a Creative Commons licensed work is used in connection with a request for
voluntary contributions (donations, supporting membership or the like) for the
beneﬁt of an individual, an educational institution or a non-proﬁt organisation
Download the guidelines: