1. Sharing Your Faith Via Digital Storytelling Los Angeles Religious Education Congress 2012 Voice Infusing Life March 22-25http://ubiquitousthoughts.files.wordpress.com/2006/10/yahoo_timecapsule.jpg
2. Sharing Your Faith Via Digital Storytelling “We are our stories. We compress years of experience, thought, and emotion into a few compact narratives that we convey to others and tell to ourselves.” - Daniel Pink A Whole New Mindhttp://ubiquitousthoughts.files.wordpress.com/2006/10/yahoo_timecapsule.jpg
3. With …Caroline Cerveny, SSJ, D. Min.Your aspiring “DigitalStoryteller”… a “Digital Immigrant” . . .in the company of many otherDigital Immigrants and Natives!… a story about my digitalfootsteps! 1983!
11. stories tell us something about someone elsewww.flickr.com/photos/99849138@N00/459432776
12. stories are both personal and universalwww.flickr.com/photos/77436208@N00/2885783824
13. Digital Stories are told by. . .• Text Based Digital Tools (Word Processing, Blogs, and Wikis)• Audio-Only Podcasts (Podcasting Tools)• Image Only (Flickr and Picasa)• Video Based (a variety of tools both Mac and PC as well as Web 2.0 video tools like Animoto)
14. Text Based Digital Toolshttp://www.coreygreen.com/storytips.html Word Processing or Google Docs
15. Text Based Digital Tools
16. Do What With a Blog?Class blog for. . .• Saint of the Day (each student is assigned a Saint of the Day, created in WP, and uploaded by a student).• Share digital story projects created by students.• And . . . Your imagination. . .
17. Text Based Digital Toolshttp://mashable.com/2007/07/16/wiki-toolbox/
18. Why Use a Wiki?• Easy to edit• Little or no learning curve• Uses built-in rich text editor• (Usually) allows anyone to edit• Promotes collaboration and knowledge sharing• Fosters feeling of ownership• Increases participation• Easy to search
19. 4 Wiki Digital Story Suggestions1. Sunday Readings – Link to USCCB – involve a team of students to retell the Gospel.2. Liturgical Seasons – e.g., Living Lent Daily, or Advent Season, or..3. Interview my family about my Baptism: Where was I baptized, what was the day like etc.4. Stories of our saints.
20. Audio Only Podcasts. . .http://www.podcasting-tools.com/huge-list-podcasting-tools.htm
21. Podcast Storytelling
22. Podcast Storytelling
23. Podcast Stories
24. Image Only Stories
25. Image Stories
26. Image Stories
27. Image Stories
28. Create an Album• Focus on a Theme for your photo’s• Possible Theme’s: Confirmation, Parish event, Special Project, etc.• Or invite students to create artwork (e.g., Lent – stations). Take photo’s when finished.• Post images on a Web album• Share link or embed into class blog.
29. Create a Storybook• Divide students into several groups.• Assign a Gospel reading.• Students find photos to illustrate the Gospel.• Catechist/Teacher approves the photos.• Each group creates a photo storybook and adds photo’s to their web album.• Link the Gospel Storybook to your class or parish website for the appropriate Sunday.
30. Create a Photo Church Journal• Split students into several groups• Ask each group to select a church location to research for a photo church journal• Could visit local churches or look for pictures from all over the world• Download to their computer and upload to their albums.• Share with Class Blog or . . .
31. Digital Stories are told by. . .• Video Based (a variety of tools both Mac and PC as well as Web 2.0 video tools like Animoto)
32. … developing a Digital Storyteller … enjoy other stories…check them out… and…http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKZiXR5qUlQ
33. Video Example
34. Video Example
35. Digital Storytelling – Steps to create your story Available at http://katiechristo.pbworks.com/Digital+Storytelling/
36. Decide what your story is about.Is it about… © 2008 CJC
37. someone important to you?
38. a place in your life?© 2008 CJC
39. an event in your life? © 2008 CJC
40. who you are?© 2008 CJC
41. what you do?© 2008 CJC
42. © 2008 CJC a challenge you have overcome?
43. or is it about someone else and one of their stories?© 2008 CJC
44. Write your storywww.flickr.com/photos/12836528@N00/2787381665
45. iMovie Storyboard Available at http://katiechristo.pbworks.com/Digital+Storytelling/
46. Tips for Making Your Movie Available at http://katiechristo.pbworks.com/Digital+Storytelling/
50. More Image Resources• DigiTales Image Resources – http://www.digitales.us/resources/image_sources.php
51. Record and Remix Audio• Audacity is free, open source software for recording and editing sounds.• It is available for Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows, GNU/Linux, and other operating systems.• Download Audacity – http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/• Download the LAME MP3 encoder to export as an MP3 – http://lame.buanzo.com.ar/• Audacity Tutorials and Installation Instructions – http://tinyurl.com/5h2jmc
52. Compose Original Music http://www.jamstudio.com/
53. • http://freeplaymusic.com/Terms of Service – If you are using Freeplay Music for: • Personal Non-Commercial Use (Non-revenue generating). This excludes broadcast use of any kind, including, without limitation, web, blog, and podcast use; or • Educational, Non-Commercial use (this is limited to student use on school grounds for in classroom projects- non broadcast) – Then Freeplay Musics compositions and recordings may be used without a fee.
54. Music Resources• Free Music Project – http://freemusic.freeculture.org/• ccMixter – http://ccmixter.org/• PodSafe Music Network – http://music.podshow.com/• Podsafe Audio – http://www.podsafeaudio.com/• Bravenet – http://www.resources.bravenet.com/audio_clips
55. More Sound Resources• DigiTales Music and Sound Resources – http://www.digitales.us/resources/music_sound_sources.php
56. Software and Internet ApplicationsTHE TOOLS
57. Rubrics for Digital Storieshttp://www.digitales.us/evaluating/scoring_guide.php
58. Software• iMovie – http://tinyurl.com/5r5nsl• Windows Live Movie Maker – http://bit.ly/gT4F8Z• Microsoft Live Essentials Photo Gallery – http://tinyurl.com/48jvat
59. Email for Student RegistrationIf you don’t wantstudents to usetheir own e-mailaddresses toregister for theInternetapplications youwill be using, tryusing Kids Email.org
60. Storytelling 2.0• Web 2.0 storytelling applications: – Image Editors – Video Editors – Media Mashup and Creation Tools – Media Publishing
68. http://delicious.com/ccerveny/DigitalStoryTellingACCESS MORE RESOURCES
69. Where do I start? Choose ONE! Start! • Explore the Kaleidoscope! • RCIA – Carmen Cayon • Parish – Transfiguration Today (Marietta, Georgia) http://bit.ly/GDalX4 • Children – Creation Story • Youth – MixBook • And….http://gimpgallery.net/files/images/gimp_kaleidoscope.jpg
70. Discussion Questions 1. How can you as a communications minister use storytelling and digital media to enhance what you do in your teaching or pastoral ministry to enhance 21st Century Faith Learning Opportunities? 2. What kinds of "stories" could you use or involve others in telling in your faith learning ministry with digital tools?
71. Digital Catechesis - http://digitalcatechesis.ning.com/
72. Resources• Digital Storytelling - http://aaslsmackdown.wikispaces.com/Digital +Storytelling• Best Digital Storytelling Examples and Resources - http://kentuckycouncilofteachersofenglish.wi kispaces.com/file/view/Digital+Storytelling+D escprition+and+Resources%5B1%5D.pdf
73. Caroline Cerveny, SSJ, TOSF, D. Min.Email: email@example.comBlog: http://acyberpilgrim.orgTwitter: https://twitter.com/ccervenyRENetwork:http://www.digitalcatechesis.ning.com
74. THANK YOU FOR ATTENDING THISLA CONGRESS WORKSHOPTO ACCESS THESE SLIDES, GO TOHTTP://SLIDESHARE.COM/CCERVENYOR CONTACT THE PRESENTER
75. To Tell Your Story – What is the gift? Credits By: Katie M. Christo Links By: Jennifer Carrier Doorman
76. Thank you for attending LA RE Congress 2012 Digital Storytelling: The Basics For Additional Resources http://delicious.com/ccerveny/DigitalStoryTelling Katie Christo’s Wiki - http://katiechristo.pbworks.com/Digital+Storytelling Photography Creative Commons from Flickr Caroline Cerveny © 2007-2008 Caroline Cerveny, SSJ, D. Min. firstname.lastname@example.org://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/us/