October 4, 2010
1. consternation (n.): alarming dismay or
2. anomaly (n.): a deviation for the norm
HINT: A(n)=not; norm=not normal
3. vitriolic (adj.): harsh in tone; bitterly critical
4. preamble (n.): a preliminary statement; an
5. coterie (n.): a small group of people who
share interests and meet frequently
HINT: It is eerie to see so many coteries.
6. expiate (v.): to make amends for
HINT:If you are trying to win back your ex-
boyfriend or girlfriend, you might expiate your
wrongdoings by buying them flowers.
7. compendium (n.): a list or collection of items
8. comprise (v.): to include or consist of; contain
HINT:You might comprise a list of prizes.
9. eidetic (adj.): pertaining to extraordinarily
detailed and vivid recall
10. innocuous (adj.): harmless
11. foist (v.): to pass off as genuine or valuable
12. plethora (n.): an overabundance; excess
13. flippancy (n.): disrespect
14. incongruous (adj.): incompatible; unsuitable
for the situation
HINT: In=not; congruent= equal
15. disconcert (v.): to frustrate; confuse
HINT: Your parents might disconcert you if they do
not let you go to the concert this Saturday.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.