Ophelia is in Shakespeares play HamletSam Smithers10roHomework assignment
• Ophelia is from Denmark• She is the lover of Hamlet the main character• Ophelia is caught between her obedience to her father and her love for Hamlet, which has tragic consequences• Ophelia is an protagonist• Daughter of Polnius and sister of Laertes• She is prostituted by her father• She is obedient.
What type of play is it• Hamlet is a play with many themes• Hamlet is a tragedy• Themes in hamlet are; Indecision, Revenge, Retribution, Deception, Ambition, Loyalty and Fate• Frailty thy name is woman
• is set in the late middle ages 1300-1499• It is set around the royal palace• Set in Elsinore, Denmark
• Ophelia faces many conflicts in hamlet.• Person vs PersonOphelia loves Hamlet and Hamlet uses OpheliaHe pretends not to love her he uses her proneness toemotion to get what he wants from her.Person vs selfOphelia loves Hamlet but her Dad disapproves of him causingher to battle with her self on weither to follow her heart orwhat her dad says.
• Prince Hamlet mourns death of both his parents, Queen Gertrudes remarriage to Claudius. Hamlet sees his fathers ghost whom tells him that Claudius has poisoned him. Hamlet promises revenge. He kills the eavesdropping Polonius, the court chamberlain. Poloniuss son Laertes returns to Denmark to avenge his fathers death. Poloniuss daughter Ophelia loves Hamlet but his behaviour drives her insane. Ophelia dies by drowning. A battle takes place and ends with the death of Gertrude, Laertes, Claudius, and Hamlet.
• At the Start of Hamlet , Ophelia is Happy and innocent She is obedient to her father "I shall obey my Lord" , She is connected to the courtyard through her Father , She loves her Father but also wants to stay true to her true love• Through Ophelia we see how hamlet turns into a man who believes all woman are whores, Ophelia is prostituted by her father• Ophelia has no control over her body, her relationships, or her choices- She is forced to join a nunnery by Hamlet.
Ophelia goes crazy as her Father and Brother try topersuade her to not see Hamlet whom she loves.She obeys and brakes up with Hamlet , falling victim ofhis rage and manipulation, Hamlet then accidently killsher father leaving Ophelia with no family in the area,Ophelia is then alone and has no one to trust herinnocents is not able to cope with all the issues thatare occurring and she falls into depression, this makesher go mad and drown, which many people believe issuicide, in the middle of the play.
Ophelia drowns inthe middle of theplay and is not aliveat the end of theplay.
"I shall obey my Lord“- Ophelia is obedient towards her father"The fair Ophelia“- used to describe OpheliaSay you? Nay, pray you, mark. [Sings.] “He is dead and gone, lady, He is dead and gone;At his head a grass-green turf At his heels a stone.” – Ophelia after finding out her dad is dead.“get thee to a nunnery”- Hamlet wanting her to go to a nunnery because hebelieves she is a whore.