5. Assessment Criteria for the Literature Search• Define the Scope of the research• Appropriate Sources of information• Are the arguments presented in the literature review Critically Evaluated and Analysed ?• To what Degree are the conclusions you have reached Substantiated ? also see p 18 of your Module Handbook
6. Some Tips!• You can limit the literature review to what has been published in the last ten years on a particular company, industry, country, market sector etc
7. ....and More Tips• Your bibliography should represent the depth of your reading on a particular subject• Ensure that you keep a record of everything you have read. All of the reading should be noted in the bibliography• Continually evaluate the quality of what you are reading
8. Start the Thinking Process!Think about the following:What do I need to find?How and where am I going to find it?How do I determine the quality of what I am finding?
9. 1.Planning the Literature Search• Decide on the topic( eg subject area, company market sector etc)• Begin with a Broad Review of the subject(helps to develop your ideas and gets you thinking about the subject)• Then define/Narrow the subject• Define the Type of literature that will contribute to your literature review
10. Middlesex Resources• Access to Full Text of resources that Middlesex subscribes to• High quality scholarly materials(eg peer reviewed journal articles)• More options to refine your search strategy( doing a structured search for better results)
11. Reading ListEssentialBest,J,(2001),Damned Lies and Statistics, Berkeley,CA:University of California Press• Bowell,T and Kemp,G, (2005),Critical Thinking:A Concise Guide,2nd ed, Abingdon:Routledge• Cottrell,S,(2005), Critical Thinking Skills:Developing Effective Analysis and Argument,Basingstoke:Palgrave MacMillanRecommendedBegg,D, (2006), Foundations of Economics,3rd ed., McGraw-Hill
13. Journal Citation• Here is an example of a typical reference you would find in a database.• Sengupta,J & Chan.(2010),”Insincere Flattery Actually Works:A Dual Attitudes Perspective”,Journal of Marketing Research,Vol.47,no 1,pp.122-133
14. Journal Search/Catalogue Journal of Marketing
15. Choose Your Date
16. 2.Planning and Managing What is involved?
17. Planning and Managing1. Determine the subject2. Keywords3. Scope
18. KeywordsWhat do you know about keywords?
19. Words with a Similar Meaning Internet Marketing Can you think of other words or phrases that mean the same thing/a similar concept?
20. .....what aboutInternet Marketing E commerce Web MarketingElectronic Commerce Social Media WWW
21. Here are a Few More “Small Business”“Small enterprise “ “ Small firm”“Small company” “Market Research”“Market Analysis” “Consumer Research”
22. Phrase Searching “Large Scale Retailing”To search for a phrase enclose it in quotemarksThe database will search for this as a phrase and the results will be more meaningful
23. Broaden the SearchThe * symbol allows you to Broaden a Searcheg Global* = (globally, globalisation,globalization, globalisin g,globalizing)Employ* = (employee, employer, employment)
24. Broaden/Narrow Phrases“Small Business” OR “Small Firm” OR “Small Company” (Broaden) “Small Business AND Ethics”(Narrow)
25. Accesing our ResourcesAlways login via My UniHub
26. Keynote(UK Market Information) Useful forMarket Research ReportsMarket Sector Products Company Profiles
27. Keynote/SidebarCompetitor Analysis
28. What do we Want? PDFExecutivesummary
29. Your Turn• Find the Toiletries Market Report for 2013• Open the PDF and look at the Table of Contents• Have a look at the SWOT Analysis and identify the number 1 threat to the Industry
30. Business Sources Complete Primary Business and Marketing Database Primary Business Database Articles SWOT analyses VideosCompany information
31. Business Source Complete Choose Advanced Search
32. Company Information Click on the MarketLine Report forGroupe Danone Open the PDF Find the SWOT AnalysisIdentify one of the Strengths of the company
33. Country Reports(eg Germany) PESTLE Analysis
34. Country ReportsFind a PESTLE Analysis for The UK
35. Industry ReportsStart at the Advanced Search PageUse Industry Profile as the publication typeFind an article on the Telecommunications Services Industry in Great Britain for 2012
36. Passport GMIDGlobal Market Information Database Provides Analytical and Statistical information on Global industry,country and consumer information
37. Mobile Phones Limit by Country UK
38. Brand Shares
39. Finding Analytical Reports• Find an analytical report for Danone• Try limiting by Country Reports and the UK• Can you determine which companies had the leading market share in the UK in 2008-2012?
40. 3. Evaluating the Material• Authority:Who is the author?What is their knowledge base/qualifications?Is this a peer- reviewed journal?• Relevance:Is it ‘pitched’ at the appropriate level? Is it what Ireally need?• Objectivity: A balanced view? Opposing views presented?
41. Evaluating....• Intent:What is the purpose of the information- eg financial gain, propaganda, academic• Currency:How old is the information? When was it last updated?
42. Referencing and Citationlibguides.mdx.ac.uk/marketing Business School