HETEROSEXISM• a system of attitudes, bias, and discrimination in favor of opposite-sex sexuality and relationships.
• Gay and lesbian youth are 2 to 6 times more likely to attempt suicide than heterosexual youth.
• Gay students hear anti-gay slurs as often as 26 times each day; faculty intervention occurs in only about 3% of those cases.
• In a study of 194 gay and lesbian youth, 25% were verbally abused by parents, and nearly 10% dealt with threatened or actual violence.
• 50% of all gay and lesbian youth report that their parents reject them due to their sexual orientation.
• In Seattle, 34% of students who described themselves as gay, lesbian or bisexual reported being the target of anti-gay harassment or violence at school or on the way to or from school, compared to 6% of heterosexual students.