A repeating pattern• Black Americans are still more likely to be poorer than whites• Black people in UK live in the poorest areas• Afro-Ecuadorians live in dire poverty• Brazil’s Black populations concentrated in largely urban areas (Favelas)
‘The threat to children and children’s(health) is not video violence, but lack of culture among role models in society’ Bengt Gorransson, Swedish Minister for Culture, 1982
• Being amongst the the most vulnerable members of society, children are dependant on adults for their cultural orientation and role models and for their health awareness and care.
Health determinants Genetics • Challenge notions about inferiority Environment • Change approach to make impact on causes Lifestyle • Support insight and ability to chooseService provision • Community knowledge to improve access and experience
If you want your eggs tohatch, sit on them yourself. Haitian proverb
12 pointers to health Black life Haki Madhabuti •Clinicians / Practitioners •Commissioning / planning •Parents and members of the community
1. Self Knowledge• The Ethiopians say, ‘a cat may go to a monastery, but she still remains a cat’ • The more a person understands his or her mind and body, the less they will try to destroy it.
2. Be family orientated • Every individual needs loving people in his or her life. • People are shaped by other people and culture. We learn self- love and self-worth in functional families.
3. Engage in Community life • The major function of a working community is to make the lives of all it’s residents liveable and enjoyable. • Like the trees of the forest; when a community fails the residents are in trouble.
4. Avoid Stress • Most people worry too muchabout things that they cannot change. • Slow down. • Seek quality rather than quantity
5. Develop critical thinking • It has become easier to believe than think. • people who think critically about the world are doers, problem solvers.• They are always looking for better answers.
6. Exercise discipline• Knowing when to say no and knowing ones own limitations is critical to self-discipline. • Part of the discipline process is to separate desires from needs and prioritise ones life
7. Personal health plan• Mind and body are connected; each person must have a program that will keep him or her healthy.• Walk when possible, cycle, swim, visit the gym, eat with moderation
8. Spiritual search • Always seek the answers to the reasons for life. The religion one practices is not as important as the practice itself. • Study all spiritual paths.
9. Cultural Interaction • Become more involved in our cultural celebrations. Kwaanza (Dec 26th - Jan 1st), Martin Luther King, Malcolm X and Marcus Garvey birthday celebrations.•The major point is that all people, if they areto be themselves, must be surrounded andsubmersed in one’s own culture.
10. Self reliance and ambition• Become more self-reliant in economics, politics and education. • Prepare your children to start, operate and succeed in their own businesses.
11. Be Creative• Enjoy life and do what brings you happiness.• If you do not have a hobby or art in which you partake, think about learning something new.
12. Adapting to Change• The world is a far different world than it was 100, 50 or 30 yrs ago.• Learn to be adaptable to change, to see change coming and initiate change.