If someone is confused about where they are or what’s going on, it may be a sign they’ve had too much to drink What YOU can do: Always stay with the person. It is never a good idea to leave someone alone who may be in danger of alcohol poisoning
If someone who has been drinking continues to dip in and out of consciousness and is unable to communicate effectively, you need to get help What YOU can do: Continually revive the person if they are passing out. Make sure they are staying awake until help arrives.
If you notice someone starting to look unusually pale or see their skin turning a shade of blue, it is a pretty good bet they are at high risk of alcohol poisoning. What YOU can do: Continually monitor the person’s breathing levels. If you know CPR, be ready to use it.
If someone is vomiting uncontrollably, you need to call 9-1-1 immediately. This is an extremely dangerous situation as the person may suffocate from inhaling their own vomit. What YOU can do: Make sure you turn the person on their side. This will prevent them from choking in the event of excessive vomiting.
Do NOT give the person food or liquid to “sober up” – This will only give them more substance to throw back up and increase the risk of choking on vomit.
Do NOT give the person a cold shower in the attempt to help them “wake up” – the shock of cold water could cause unconsciousness
Do NOT exercise the person in ANY way to help them “walk it off” – this can increase the danger of the developing an irregular heartbeat