3. What we are looking for:• Theme• Subject• Line, line quality• Brush Stroke• Use of text in the artworks
4. Wang Mian (Chinese, died 1359)Ink Plum, n.d. (ca. 1350s)The plum, blooming in isolation at theend of winter when it is still oftensurrounded by snow, became a symbolof renewal and endurance underadversity. Wang Mian’s images of plumbranches in cascading S-curves werecombined with poems. By combiningthe poems with the image of the plumhe emphasized the plum tree’simportance as a symbol of enduranceand rebirth.
5. Sumiyoshi SchoolScenes from the Battle of Yashima, ca. mid-17th centuryJapan, Edo period (1615–1868)Six-panel folding screen; ink, color, and gold leaf on paper, 37 7/16 x 111 1/4 in. (95.1 x 282.6 cm)Leonard C. Hanna, Jr., B.A. 1913, Fund2002.84.2This work depicts a battle fought between two rival warrior families in 1185: the Taira (Heike), hoisting their red banners, and theMinamoto (Genji), waving their white banners. The tightly knit formation of the mounted Minamoto warriors predicts their victoryover the Taira, who have retreated in scattered boats. The scene is an illustration from The Tale of the Heike. Satō Tsuginobu, shotby an arrow, is shown plummeting headfirst off his horse.
6. Flying Attendant, 14th centuryChina, Yuan dynasty (1279–1368)Wall painting; pigments on plaster, 50x 50 inWall painting was one of the majorformats of Chinese painting before thedominance of scholar paintersgradually relegated mural painters tothe status of craftsmen. palaces andtemples alike were painted by some ofthe greatest names in the history ofChinese painting. This section of a wallpainting from a Buddhist temple,shows the descent through clouds of awinged attendant with tail featherstrailing behind. The figure holds a lotusleaf and is showering flowers onto adeity below. Only the edge of thedeity’s halo is seen at lower left. Therewould have been a similar figure to theleft of the halo.
7. Andō Hiroshige (Japanese, 1797–1858)New Years Eve, Fox Fires by the Nettle Tree at Ōji (i), 1857Color wood block print, 14 5/16 x 9 5/8 in. (36.4 x 24.4 cm)