• English vocabulary include short words like the
article a as well as longer word such as
inextricably and denunciation.
• Short word such as speak and solve are called
• Base words cannot be reduced to smaller parts.
• Other words can be added to them to produce
longer words with various meanings.
3. Word Parts
• There are two kinds of word parts: roots and
• A root is a word part that comes from another
language, such as Greek or Latin.
• An affix is a word part that can be attached to
either a root or a base word to create a new
• Affixes can be divided into two categories:
prefixes (appear at the beginning of words) and
suffixes (appear at the end of words).
5. Check it out
Latin Root: tang,
Prefix: in-, meaning
Greek Root: chrome,
Suffix: -ible, meaing
• The meaning of a word is related to the meaning
of its word parts.
• To unlock the meaning of an unfamiliar word,
break the word down into its component parts;
then think about the meaning of the word’s
affixes and root.
• For example one could analyze the word
intangible, using the chart shown previously.
• First break the word into its parts:
PREFIX ROOT SUFFIX ENGLISH WORD
In- + tang + -ible = intangible
is a latin roots meaning “touch”
is a prefix meaning “not”
is a suffix meaning “able to”
8. Word Families
• A group of English words may be derived from
the same word part of root. Such a group is
called a word family.
• You can use this knowledge to help you
determine the meaning of unknown words.
• Try this out:
Shared roots: solo, solitary, solitude
Root: sol= ?
9. Answer: Alone, can you think of other
words in the family?
• Based on your knowledge of the root and the
meaning of other words in the same family, try
to define the meaning of the above words.
• Solitare- a card game played by one person
• Soloist- one who performs alone
10. Try one:
• What do these words have in common?
• Which words do you know?
• What do you think the meaning of the root is?
11. Word Family Practice Questions:
• Word family: ethnicity, ethnic, ethnographer
12. Word Family Practice Questions:
• Word family: maniac, maniacal
13. Word Family Practice Questions:
• Word family: epidermis, dermatology
14. Word Family Practice Questions:
• Word Family: laboratory, labor
15. Let’s see what you know:
• Divide and indivisible are members of the same
word family. Which root so they share?
A. –visB. -visibleC. -div• What is the meaning of this root?
• What is another member of the same word
A. December B. dividend