1. Mark H. Drazner, MD, MSc Mark H. DraznerAddress University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center 5323 Harry Hines Blvd. Dallas, Texas 75390-9047 E-mail: Mark.Drazner@utsouthwestern.eduEducation1981.1985 Washington University St. Louis, Missouri A.B. Biology1985-1989 Washington University School of Medicine St. Louis, Missouri M.D.1999-2001 Harvard University School of Public Health Clinical Effectiveness Program Boston, Massachusetts M.Sc. (Epidemiology)Professional Experience9/2003-present Associate Professor of Medicine University of Texas at Southwestern Medical Center1999-present Reynolds Associate, Donald W. Reynolds Cardiovascular Clinical Research Center, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center1997-present Medical Director, Heart Failure Clinic Parkland Memorial Hospital1997-8/2003 Assistant Professor of Medicine University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center1996-1997 Congestive Heart Failure/Cardiac Transplantation Fellow Brigham and Women’s Hospital/Harvard Medical School1993-1996 Cardiology Fellow Duke University Medical Center1992-1993 Chief Resident Internal Medicine University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
2. Mark H. Drazner, MD, MSc Parkland Memorial Hospital/Dallas VA Medical Center1989-1992 Intern and Resident in Internal Medicine University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center Parkland Memorial Hospital/Dallas VA Medical CenterLicensure1996 Massachusetts1994 Virginia1994 North Carolina1990 TexasCertification1998 Fellow, American College of Cardiology1997 Subspecialty Board of Cardiovascular Disease1992 American Board of Internal Medicine2002 Recertification in Internal Medicine (ABIM)Honor Societies1989 Alpha Omega Alpha1985 Phi Beta KappaHonors2005-2006 Best Doctors in America® Congestive Heart Failure/Transplantation2003-2004 Best Doctors in America® Congestive Heart Failure/Transplantation2003 Nominee, AAMC Humanism in Medicine Award1985 Washington University A. Gwendolyn Drew Award (Outstanding scholar-athlete)1983-1985 Washington University Tennis Team, Co-Captain1981.1985 Varsity Letter, Washington University Tennis Team1981 National Merit ScholarAppointments2003- present Director, Cardiology Clinical Conference University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center1998-present Director, Cardiology Grand Rounds University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center2002 Member, Disease Specific Care Heart Failure Expert Panel
3. Mark H. Drazner, MD, MSc Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO)2003-present Peer Reviewer, CHF and Cardiac Transplant, “Up To Date”2004-present Member, Executive Committee, Donald W. Reynolds Clinical Cardiovascular Research Center, UTSWMC2005 – present United Network Organ Sharing (UNOS) Thoracic Regional Review Board (Region 4).2005- present Member at large, Cardiac Transplant Research Database Steering CommitteeGrant Support1999.2003 Donald W. Reynolds Cardiovascular Clinical Research Center at UTSW (Donald W. Reynolds Foundation) Reynolds Associate $53,100/year2000-2004 Doris Duke Charitable Foundation Clinical Scientist Development Award “Gene-Environment Interactions and LV Hypertrophy” Total budget: $432, 000Clinical Trials1998-2003 Co-Principal Investigator, UTSWMC Sudden Cardiac Death in Heart Failure Trial (SCD-HeFT)2000-2004 Principal Investigator, UTSWMC Evaluation Study of Congestive Heart Failure and Pulmonary Artery Catheterization Effectiveness (ESCAPE)2001-present Principal Investigator, UTSWMC Surgical Therapy in Ischemic Heart Failure Trial (STICH)
4. Mark H. Drazner, MD, MSc BIBLIOGRAPHYBook Chapters 1. Katz, JN, Kowal, RC, Drazner, MH. Noninvasive Diagnostic Evaluation of the Acute Heart Failure Patient with Systolic Dysfunction: Focus on the Electrocardiogram and Chest X-ray. In, Managing Acute Decompensated Heart Failure: A Clinician’s Guide for Diagnosis and Treatment. In press. 2. Teerlink, JR, Drazner, MH. Evaluation of the Acute Heart Failure Patient: Assessment of Dyspnea and other Physical Examination Parameters. Noninvasive Diagnostic Evaluation of the Acute Heart Failure Patient with Systolic Dysfunction: Focus on the Electrocardiogram and Chest X-ray. In, Managing Acute Decompensated Heart Failure: A Clinician’s Guide for Diagnosis and Treatment. In press. 3. Drazner, MH. LVH in Special Populations. In Molecular Mechanisms of Cardiac Hypertrophy and Failure. Ed Walsh, R. 2005Journal Articles1. Morris JC, Drazner M, Fulling K, Grand EA, Goldring J: Clinical and pathological aspects of parkinsonism in Alzheimer’s disease – A role for extranigral factors? Archives of Neurology 46:651-7, 1989.2. Opperman M, Diverse-Pierluissi M, Drazner MH, Dyer SL, Freedman NF, Peppel KC, Lefkowitz RJ: Monoclonal antibodies reveal receptor specificity among G protein-coupled receptor kinases. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 93:7649-7654, 1996.3. Drazner MH, Koch WJ, Lefkowitz RJ: Potentiation of β-adrenergic signaling by gene transfer (review). Proceedings of the Association of American Physicians 109:220-227, 1997.4. Drazner MH, Peppel KC, Grant AO, Koch WJ, Lefkowitz RJ: Potentiation of β- adrenergic signaling in adult rabbit ventricular myocytes by adenoviral-mediated gene transfer. Journal of Clinical Investigation 99:288-296, 1997.5. Drazner MH, Solomon MA, Thompson B, Yancy CW. Tailored therapy using dobutamine and nitroglycerin in advanced heart failure. Am J Cardiol 84:941-943, 1999.6. Drazner MH, Hamilton MA, Fonarow G, Creaser J, Flavell C, Stevenson LW. Relationship between right and left-sided filling pressures in 1000 patients with advanced heart failure. J Heart Lung Transplant, 18:1126-1132, 1999.7. Weinfeld MS, Drazner MH, Stevenson WG, Stevenson LW. Early outcome of initiating Amiodarone for atrial fibrillation in advanced heart failure. J Heart Lung Transplant, 19:638-643, 2000.8. Dries, DL, Sweitzer, NK, Drazner, MH, Stevenson, LW, Gersh, BJ. Prognostic impact of diabetes mellitus in heart failure according to the etiology of left ventricular systolic dysfunction. J Am Coll Cardiol, 38:421-8, 2001.
5. Mark H. Drazner, MD, MSc9. Drazner, MH, Rame, JE, Stevenson, LW, Dries, DL. Prognostic importance of elevated jugular venous pressure and a third heart sound in patients with heart failure. N Engl J Med 2001; 345:574-581.10. Rame, JE, Sheffield, MA, Dries, DL, Gardner, EB, Toto, KH, Yancy, CW, Drazner, MH. Outcomes after emergency department discharge with a primary diagnosis of heart failure. Am Heart J 2001; 142:714-719.11. Neily, JB, Toto, KH, Gardner, EB, Rame, JE, Yancy, CW, Sheffield, MA, Dries, DL, Drazner, MH. Potential contributing factors to noncompliance with dietary sodium restriction in heart failure patients. Am Heart J 2002; 143:29-33.12. Drazner, MH, Thompson, B, Rosenberg, PB, Kaiser, PA, Boehrer, JD, Baldwin, BJ, Dries, DL, Yancy, CW. Comparison of impedance cardiography with invasive hemodynamic measurements in patients with heart failure secondary to ischemic or nonischemic cardiomyopathy. Am J Cardiol 2002; 89:993-995.13. Dries, DL, Strong, MH, Cooper, RS, Drazner, MH. Efficacy of angiotensin- converting enzyme inhibition in reducing progression from asymptomatic left ventricular dysfunction to symptomatic heart failure in black and white patients. J Am Coll Cardiol 2002; 40:311-7.14. Drazner, MH, Palmer, BF. Hypertonic saline: A novel therapy for advanced heart failure? (editorial) Am Heart J 2003 145:377-9.15. Drazner, MH, Rame, JE, Dries, DL. Third heart sound and elevated jugular venous pressure as markers of the subsequent development of heart failure in patients with asymptomatic left ventricular dysfunction. Am J Med 2003;114:431-7.16. Rame, JE, Dries, DL, Drazner, MH. The prognostic value of the physical examination in patients with chronic heart failure (review). Congestive Heart Failure, 2003;9:170-5.17. deLemos, JA, McGuire, DK, Drazner, MH. B-type Natriuretic Peptide (BNP) in Cardiovascular Disease (review). Lancet published online April 22, 2003. http://image.thelancet.com/extras/02art2325web.pdf; 2003;362: 316-22.18. Drazner, M, McGuire, DK, deLemos, JA. Nesiritide in acute heart failure (letter). Lancet, 2003;362:998-999.19. Rame, JE, Ramilo, M, Spencer, N, Blewett, C, Mehta, SK, Dries, DL, Drazner, MH. Development of a depressed left ventricular ejection fraction in patients with left ventricular hypertrophy and a normal ejection fraction. Am J Cardiol, 2004;93;234-237.20. Mehta, SK, Toto, KH, Nelson, LL, Drazner, MH. Therapy of heart failure in African-Americans- lessons from an urban public hospital (review). Congestive Heart Failure, 10:40-43, 2004.21. Dries, DL, Yancy, CW, Strong, MA, Drazner, MH. Racial response to angiotensin-converting enzyme therapy in systolic heart failure (review). Congestive Heart Failure, 10:30-33, 2004.22. Drazner, MH, Rame, JE, Marino, EK, Gottdiener, JS, Kitzman, DW, Gardin, JM, Manolio, T, Dries, DL, Siscovick DS. Increased left ventricular mass is a risk factor for the development of a depressed left ventricular ejection fraction: the Cardiovascular Health Study. J Am Coll Cardiol, 43:2207-2215, 2004.23. Drazner, MH. Left Ventricular Hypertrophy is More Common in Black than White Hypertensives: Is this News? (editorial) Hypertension, 43:1160-1, 2004.
6. Mark H. Drazner, MD, MSc24. Das, SR, Drazner, MH, Yancy, CW, Stevenson, LW, Gersh, BJ, Dries, DL. Effects of diabetes mellitus and ischemic heart disease on the progression from asymptomatic left ventricular dysfunction to symptomatic heart failure: A retrospective analysis from the SOLVD Prevention trial. Am Heart J, 148:883-8, 2004.25. Estep, J, Mehta, SK, Uddin, F, King, LP, Toto, KH, Nelson, LL, Dries, DL, Yancy, CW, Drazner, MH. Beta-blocker therapy in patients with heart failure in the urban setting: Moving beyond clinical trials. Am Heart J, 148:958-963, 2004.26. Drazner, MH, deLemos, JA. Unexpected BNP levels in patients with advanced heart failure: a tale of caution and promise (editorial). Am Heart J, 149:187-189, 2005.27. Sabatine MS, Blake GJ, Drazner MH, Morrow DA, Scirica BM, Murphy SA, McCabe CH, Weintraub WS, Gibson CM, Cannon CP. Influence of race on death and ischemic complications in patients with non-ST-elevation acute coronary syndromes despite modern, protocol-guided treatment. Circulation, 111:1217-1224, 2005.28. King, LP, Siminoff, LA, Meyer, DM, Yancy, CW, Ring, WS, Mayo, TW, Drazner, MH. Health insurance and cardiac transplantation: a call for reform. J Am Coll Cardiol 45:1388-1391, 2005.29. Rosenberg, PB, Vriesendorp, AE, Drazner, MH, Dries, DL, Kaiser, PA, Hynan, LH, DiMaio, JM, Meyer, D, Ring, WS, Yancy, CW. Induction therapy with Basiliximab allows delayed initiation of Cyclosporine and preserves renal function following cardiac transplantation. J Heart Lung Transplant, 24: 1327-31, 2005.30. Berenji, K, Drazner, MH, Rothermel, BA, Hill, JA. Does load-induced ventricular hypertrophy progress to systolic heart failure? (review) Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol, 89:8-16, 2005.31. Drazner, MH, Dries, DL, Peshock, RM, Cooper, RS, Klassen, C, Kazi, F, Willett, D, Victor, RG. Left ventricular hypertrophy is more prevalent in blacks than whites in the general population: the Dallas Heart Study. Hypertension, 46:1-6, 2005.32. Wallace, TW, Drazner, MH. The Impact of Race on Response to RAAS Inhibition (review). Current Heart Failure Reports, 2:72-77, 2005.33. Katz, JN, Drazner, MH. Assessing Prognosis in Heart Failure: Is HGF the Next BNP? (editorial) Am Heart J, 150:1-3, 2005.34. Drazner, MH. From hypertrophy to failure: how certain are we? (editorial) Circulation, 112:936-938, 200535. Das, SR, Dries, DL, Drazner, MH, Yancy, CW, Chae, CU. Relation of lower hematocrit to progression form asymptomatic left ventricular dysfunction to symptomatic heart failure (from the Studies of Left Ventricular Dysfunction Prevention Trial). Am J Cardiol, 96:827-831, 2005.36. Das, SR, Drazner, MH, Dries, DL, Vega, GL, Stanek, HG, Abdullah, SM, Canham, RM, Chung, AK, Leonard, D, Wians, FH, de Lemos, JA. Impact of Body Mass and Body Composition on Circulating Levels of Natriuretic Peptides: Results from the Dallas Heart Study. Circulation, 112:2163-2168, 2005.
7. Mark H. Drazner, MD, MSc37. Dries, DL, Victor, R, Rame, JE, Cooper, RS, Wu, X, Zhu, X, Leonard, D, Inn-Ho, S, Wu, Q, Post, W, Drazner, MH. Corin Gene Minor Allele Defined By Two Missense Mutations Is Common in Blacks and Associated with High Blood Pressure and Hypertension. Circulation, 112:2403-2410, 2005.38. Abdullah SM, Khera A, Das SR, Stanek HG, Canham RM, Chung AK, Morrow DA, Drazner MH, McGuire DK, de Lemos JA. Relation of Coronary Atherosclerosis Determined by Electron Beam Computed Tomography and Plasma Levels of N-terminal Pro-Brain Natriuretic Peptide in a Multiethnic Population-Based Sample (The Dallas Heart Study). Am J Cardiol, 96: 1284-9, 2005.39. Kollipara, UK, Mo, V, Toto, KH, Nelson, LL, Neily, JB, Drazner, MH. Cultural sources of dietary sodium in urban African-Americans with heart failure. J Cardiac Failure, in press.40. Chung, AK, Das, SR, Leonard, D, Peshock, RP, Kazi, F, Abdullah, SM, Canham, RM, Levine, B, Drazner, MH. Women have a higher left ejection fraction than men independent of their smaller left ventricular volume: the Dallas Heart Study. Submitted.