The sinus is open, air filled bony cavities around the nasal passages that improve the quality of the air we breathe they warm , moisten , purify , filter , and condition it before it reaches our lungs. Sinus infections are one of the most common infections across the world. Sinus attacks are caused by an infection in the sinus or cavities that are present in the bones near the nose. When there is any swelling in these sinus because of some infection, breathing becomes difficult, resulting in fever, headaches, and other discomforts. This is known as sinusitis.
Sinus Allergies can cause a lot of pain and discomfort. Sometimes, the infection may also lead to some brain infections or other chronic problems. Though there is no effective remedy for sinus pressure relief, a lot of comfort can be gained by treating the sinus symptoms like headaches, nasal discharge, nasal blocking, runny nose, ear/neck/cheek/ jaw pain, swelling of eyelids, etc.
However, acute or chronic sinus infections require prolonged treatments, comprised of antibiotics or therapies like saline nasal rinses, topical/oral decongestants, antihistamines, mucolytic agents, and intranasal corticosteroids.
The causes for this occurring are referred to under Coughs and Catarrhal Infections and the effects are very similar a blocked-up feeling in the nose, slight temperature, tickly cough, headache and excruciating pain in and around those cavities particularly above the eyes. Many of the remedies, particularly the inhalants, oils and tickly cough cures given under Colds and Chest Infections will work well.
* You should inhale steam vapors periodically. This is a very simple yet effective home remedy for sinus allergies. All you have to do is bow your head over a hot water bowl so that the steam can reach your face directly. Start inhaling the steam vapors. Repeat this for 2-3 mins as many times as it is convenient to do so. The main purpose is to thin the usually thick mucus so that
* Consumption of garlic juice or garlic capsules. It has been said that garlic has anti-bacterial and anti fungal properties. Since a sinus infection could be either bacterial or fungal in nature, the properties of garlic should be an effective natural cure. Another option is to put some chopped fresh garlic in a bowl of hot water and inhale the steam 2-3 times a day. This is another effective home remedy for sinus allergies.
* Another natural cure and home remedy for sinus infection is to use Apple Cider Vinegar, which contains potassium. This helps decrease mucus production and have shown to be beneficial as a natural home remedy of sinus allergies, runny nose and the common cold. Mix 2 teaspoonfuls of organic Apple Cider Vinegar in a full glass of warm water and drink it up. Do this 3 times a day.
* Food allergy is one of the major causes of sinus allergies. It may sound preposterous, but many people have found that avoiding certain food groups totally cured them of this condition ! For chronic sinus allergies sufferers, you need to avoid taking dairy products, wheat, eggs , chickens , ducks , chocolates , peanuts , bananas and corn . To be absolutely sure which food group you may be allergic to, a diagnostic blood test is highly recommended. Therefore, avoiding certain food groups which are known to cause allergic reactions can be a simple and yet effective home remedy for sinus allergies.
* 2 fresh young nettle tops, 1 tablespoon blackberry leaves, 1 sprig fresh peppermint, 1 head meadowsweet 600 ml(1 pint) boiling water. Infuse all the herbs in the boiling water for 10 mmutes, covered. Take in the springtime to clear this painful problem before summer arrives. This will prevent sinus infection.
* Taken separately or in combination with juices of beet and cucumber, or with spinach juice, has been found beneficial in the treatment of sinus trouble. In the case of combined juices, 100 ml each of beet and cucumber juices, or 200 ml of spinach juice, should be mixed with 300ml of carrot juice to make 500 ml or half a litre of the mixed juice. This will help in reducing sinus allergies.
* The liberal use of mangoes during the season is considered an effective remedy for prevention and treatment of sinusitis. Mangoes contribute towards formation of healthy epithelium, thereby preventing frequent attacks of common infections like sinusitis. This is attributable to a high concentration of vitamin A in the fruit.