Accidents at Home
1. What is the most dangerous thing in your home? How can it be made less dangerous?
2. What is the most dangerous thing in your home for a child? How can it be made less dangerous?
3. What is the most dangerous thing in your home for an elderly person? How can it be made less
4. What dangers can be found in the kitchen that can cause accidents?
5. What can be done to prevent kitchen accidents?
6. What can a parent do to childproof a kitchen?
7. What dangers can be found in bathrooms that can cause accidents?
8. What can be done to prevent bathroom accidents?
9. What can a parent do to childproof a bathroom?
10. What dangers can be found outside the home in the yard that can cause accidents?
11. What can be done to prevent yard accidents?
12. What can a parent do to childproof the yard?
13. What other dangers can be found in a home in bedrooms, laundry rooms, garages, and
14. What can be done throughout the house to prevent accidents?
15. What can a parent do to childproof the different rooms of the home?
16. Where at home would you put your first aid kit?
a. What would you have in it?
17. Where are these items found in a house, why could they be dangerous, to whom could
they be dangerous, and what could someone do to lessen the danger they present?
a. hot pan/pot
b. hot curling iron
j. natural gas
p. yard tools
r. cellar /attic
t. bad dog
u. tall pieces of furniture
v. swing set / playground
w. very clean glass sliding door
x. electronic equipment
y. cleaning supplies
z. lake/retention pond
aa. loose carpet on slippery tile floor
bb. glass table or sharp edged table
18. What do you need to do if...
a. you cut your finger preparing food?
b. you fall down and can not move a limb?
c. your child drinks a poisonous liquid? (discuss syrup of ipecac)
d. the toilet is flooding the bathroom?
e. a pan on the stove is on fire?
f. a neighborneighbor's dog is growling at you?
g. our child falls off a chair and is bleeding?
1. What is adoption?
2. Do you know anyone who was adopted as a child?
3. Do you know anyone who has adopted a child?
4. What are some of the reasons people choose to adopt?
5. What is the difference between domestic and international adoption?
6. What are the views of adoption in your country?
7. How would someone interested in adopting a child go about doing so?
8. Where do children available for adoption come from?
9. What happens to children that are not adopted?
10. How do you go about adopting a child?
11. Would you want to adopt a boy or a girl? Why?
12. Do you think brothers and sisters should be separated in adoptions?
13. Are adoptions common in your country?
14. What are some organizations that help with adoptions?
15. Should you tell the child that he or she was adopted? If so at what age? Or when?
16. Should adopted children have the right to know their biological parents?
17. Should families with birth children also adopt?
18. Is the real parent the birth parent or the adoptive parent?
19. Should adoptions be between children and families of the same race and or culture?
20. How or should the adoptive parents maintain the adopted child's cultural identify?
21. In your country are the legal rights of an adoptive child different from that of a birth child?
22. What are the legal consequences of adopting a child from a different race or country?
23. Why don't more people adopt a child?
24. What makes a family, genetics or environment?
25. Do you support an open adoption policy where the birth parents can choose to be involved in the
26. Do you believe there is discrimination within the adoption organizations?
27. Do you think a person should be able to adopt a child of a different race?
28. Should a gay or lesbian couple be allowed to adopt a child?
29. Should there be an age restriction for the adoptive parents?
30. Should a single man or woman be able to adopt a child?
31. Ifyou were to find out that you were adopted and not really from the country where you are a
citizen, which nationality would you hope would be your true mother country? Why?
32. When is the right time for a child to be told that he/she was adopted?
33. Do you think it is preferable to adopt or to use artificial reproduction technology?
34. Would you agree to an open adoption or closed adoption? Why?
35. What is an open adoption?
36. Would you want to find your birth family? Why or why not?
1. What is the most shocking advertisment you have seen?
2. What is the funniest advertisement you have seen? Describe it.
3. What makes an ad memorable?
4. What are the different types of advertising? (Eg. TV)
5. What types of companies choose each type?
6. Do you buy products because of advertising?
7. Do you find advertising persuasive?
8. Why do you buy one product over another?
9. Should advertisers be allowed to advertise to children?
10. Should alcohol or tobacco companies be allowed to advertise? Why or why not?
11. What do you think of celebrity endorsements?
12. Which celebrities advertise which products?
13. Do favorite or annoying celebrities make you want or not want to buy a product?
14. Should there be advertisement-free zones?
15. Is there truth in advertising?
16. What kind of advertisements attract your attention?
17. Why is it necessary to advertise?
18. Do you think advertising should be allowed to interrupt TV or radio programmes? What are the
19. What is the best way to advertise to children? Adults? Seniors? etc..
20. Do you think advertising is too expensive?
21. What are some effective adverts you have seen lately (on TV, newspaper, etc)?
22. What are some ineffective adverts you have seen lately?
23. Can you remember an advertising campaign that caught your attention?
24. What are the different methods of advertising?
25. What is the most popular way of advertising?
26. Do you think that the Internet and cable/satelite TV have become more important than national
TV for advertising products?
27. What do you think is the best way of discovering the tastes and interests of teenage consumers?
28. Can TV advertising be a force for good?
29. How easy do you think it is to influence children with advertising?
30. Do you agree with anti-consumerism organisations that the child will have watched 350,000
commercials by the time she graduates from high school?
Age: Youth & Old Age
1.Are young people generally more selfish than their parents and grandparents? Does age make
you more aware of and caring for others?
2. Should adults try to teach young people lessons, such as the dangers of drinking too much,
taking drugs or catch the AIDS virus, or should they leave them alone to find out about these
things themselves? What are the advantages and disadvantages of both approaches?
3. What do you think is the best age to be? Explain your opinion.
4. Most countries give young people rights as they reach a certain age. For example, British
people can legally make love or fight for their country at the age of 16; they can drink, vote and
drive a car when they are 18. Does China have similar laws? Do you think that any of the age
limits need changing?
5.Some people think you should give something to society before you have the right to join it.
Should young people have to do some form of military or community service by law?
6. Should people of between 50 and 55 be forced to retire from their jobs in order to make way
for younger workers?
7. If people are still able to (and want to) work, should they have to retire when the reach a
certain age? Explain your opinion.
8. In most countries the legal retirement age for men is five years older than for women, even
though women live longer than men on average. Why do you think this is? Is this fair, or should
it be changed?
9. Are there many things that the old can teach the young or are they hopelessly out of touch by
the time they reach a certain age? What things were you taught by your older family members?
How have they been useful to you in your life?
10. Inmost countries, compulsory education is targeted at five to sixteen year olds. Would it be
better to offer it to pensioners who want to learn rather than young people who prefer not to be in
school? Explain your opinion.
11. InRussia, China and many other countries, there is a tradition of choosing leaders who are
quite advanced in years. Do you think that older people make better leaders? Explain your
12. One ofBritain's best-ever leaders was William Pitt, who became Prime Minister when he was
24 and remained in power for 18 years. Could this ever happen in China? Why/why not?
13. Many elderly people have disabilities which limit their mobility. Do buses, shops and public
buildings in your country provide easy access for the disabled or are your towns and cities
designed mainly for the young and able-bodied? Why is this?
14. Shouldthe elderly be expected to pay for residential care out of their own savings or should
appropriate accommodation and nursing be provided by the tax payer? Explain your opinion.
15. Some people say that men age better than women, and remain attractive longer. Do you
agree? Explain your opinion.
16. Some people say that men never grow up, they just get bigger. Do you agree? Explain your
17. Some people say that
young women are usually two to three years more mature than young
men. Do you agree? Explain your opinion.
18. Inmost countries women live an average of five to six years longer than men. Why do you
think this is?
some countries having children is considered a way of "investing in the future", and young
people are expected to give money to their parents when they get a job, and then to care for them
when they retire. What are the good points and what are the bad points about this system?
20. Many countries are facing the problem of an "aging population", i.e. there will soon be more
old people than young people. What problems will this cause? What can be done to prepare for
21. What do you think is the ideal age for each of these stages of your life: (Explain your
22. What age do you want to live to?
23. How do you feel about your parents growing older?
your parents could no longer care for themselves, would you let them live with you or put
them in a nursing home?
25. Are you afraid of getting old?
26. What is your ideal old age to live to?
27. Do you prefer to live in the retirement home or live with young people?
28. Should parents continue to finance their children after the children are 18?
29. Where do you wish to live when you are old?
30. Where do you see yourself when you are 70 years old?