What is all this technology for?
..and how does it affect me?
• Weblogs (blogs) and Wiki’s
• Google Tools
• Project Management
Blog?...that sounds funny.
A blog is a special kind of website.
• Authentic in the first person
• Community conversations
• Content is very structured
– Dated (newest first)
– Archived older files
• you can subscribe to people’s blogs
like a newspaper or magazine
Also a Wiki
What can you do with a blog?
• Write about your latest revelation
• Share ideas with people from
around the world
• Report news on certain issues
• Organize people around goals and
rally support, exchange ideas
• Use as platform for holding
podcasts and pictures for all to see
• RSS stand for Real Simple
– An XML file format standard for
subscribing to blogs
– Bloglines (online)
– Google Reader (online)
– And many, many more!
• Brian Russell of Audio Activism (http://www.audioactivism.org)
• Ruby Sinreich of Lotus Media (http://www.lotusmedia.org)
• North Carolina Campus Compact (http://www.elon.edu/nccc)
• NCCU’s Academic Community Service Learning Program
Russell, Brian, Sinreich, Ruby; “What’s all this blog stuff? And Why should I
care?” RTPnet Conference on Nonprofit Technology, May 2005, Chapel
Hill, NC (online:http://www.audioactivism.org/images/BrianRuby-
Orange Politics (http://www.orangepolitics.org)
Pew Internet & The American Life Project (http://www.pewinternet.org)
Using google’s tools and services
Using Basecamp for project