3. SOLDERING IRON A very simple device with no moving partsThe soldering iron gets hot when electricityflows through a coil of wire.
4. Uses of SolderingSplicing wiresCircuit Boards
5. Tinning a wireTinning means to put solder on the wire.
6. Your first Soldering Job Tinning a wire
7. Preparing the Soldering Iron Cleaning the soldering iron
8. Tinning the IronApply some solder to the iron
9. Applying solder to the Wire The Heat Bridge
10. Feed in the SolderThe hot wire will melt the solder
11. Capillary ActionWicking action draws solder into wire strands
12. Tinned WireAll wire strands are coated with solder
13. Good Job !The solder has coated the strands but has not traveledunderthe insulation.
14. Solder follows heatIf the heat is allowed to travel down the wire,the solder will follow.
15. Splicing Simple twisted spliceThe easiest type of splice
16. Simple twist spliceStrip two wires & twist together
17. Simple Twist SpliceFinish by tinning both wires together.
18. Side by side splice Bonding two tinned wires Requires two steps
19. Side by side spliceStep one: Tin two stripped wires.
20. Side by side spliceStep Two: Bond wires with a heat bridge.
21. Side by side spliceCorrectly bonded splice
22. Straight Twisted SpliceStep one: Strip wires & twist together
23. Straight twisted spliceStep Two: Tin both wires at once.
24. Woven SpliceThree Steps
25. Woven SpliceStep One: Push two stripped wire strands together.
26. Woven SpliceThe wire strands are intertwined & twistedbefore tinning
27. Woven SpliceBond the intertwined strands together
28. Woven SpliceA good woven splice is almost as smooth at the wire itself.
29. PC board Soldering
30. Mounting Components Multiple steps.
31. Prepare the component lead1.2.
32. Capacitor leads
33. Soldering to circuit board step 1
34. Attaching the leadApply solder to both the solder pad and the component lead
35. Feed in solder Just like tinning a wire
36. The right amount of solder Concave shaped solder joint
37. Poor solder joints lopsided convex No bondingcold These are not concave shaped solder joints
38. How are these?
39. Cold Solder JointNo bonding between solder pad and the lead.
40. A good solder joint Trimmed lead lead Trimmed Covered pad Concave cone Concave coneCovered solder pad
41. Misaligned resistor shorted to solder joint in a new walkie-talkie
42. How about these solder joints?
43. Align all the parts correctly.
44. Review1. Alloy 2. Flux3. Simple twist splice 4. Side by side splice5. Straight twist splice 6. Woven splice7. PC Board soldering 8. Concave solder joint9. Cold solder joint 10. Solder pad coverage11. Tinning 12. Heat bridge13. Capillary Action
45. Quiz1. What was this presentation about?2. What is solder made of?3. What is the name for a mixture of metals?4. How many moving parts does the soldering iron have?5. How does the soldering iron get hot?
46. Quiz continued6. What is the term for applying solder to a wire?7. Through what is heat transferred from the soldering iron to the material being soldered?8. How does the solder get on the inner strands of the wire?9. Does the solder flow away from, or toward heat?10. What is the easiest splice to do?
47. Quiz continued11. What is the smoothest splice to do?12. When tinning a wire, should the solder reach under the insulation?13. What shape should a PC board solder joint be?14. What is a cold solder joint?15. Should the PC board component track be soldered?
48. Quiz Answers1. What was this presentation about? soldering2. What is solder made of? tin and lead3. What is the solder compound termed? alloy4. How many moving parts does the soldering iron have? None5. How does the soldering iron get hot? Current flows through the wire
49. Quiz Answers continued6. What is the term for applying solder to a wire? tinning7. Through what is heat transferred from the soldering iron to the material being soldered? by a heat bridge8. How does the solder get on the inner strands of the wire? capillary action9. Does the solder flow away from, or toward heat? toward10. What is the easiest splice to do? simple twist splice
50. Quiz Answers continued11. What is the smoothest splice to do? woven splice12. When tinning a wire, should the solder reach under the insulation? No!13. What shape should a PC board solder joint be? concave14. What is a cold solder joint? not bonded between lead and pad15. Should the PC board component track be soldered? No