Is sticking with XP a really BAD idea?Explained in Two MinutesSource:  IDC White Paper
Windows XP a good business decision?• IT labour support costs– Year 4 ‐ 25% rise– Year 5 ‐ 29% rise• Employee productivity...
Windows XP productivity• Five‐year‐old PCs running Windows XP, per PC, per year– Employee productivity cost ‐ 55% higher –...
Business case Against Win XP • Support time spent per PC per year – Win XP, 11.3 hours– Win 7, 2.3 hours (9 hours less tha...
Windows XP meets current needs whether it is supported or not?• As stability, security risks increase support challenges e...
Summary• Supporting Win XP compared to Win 7 costs 19% more.– Reasons system crashes, security woes, waiting for support &...
Office 365 AdministratorReference:IDC ‐ Mitigating Risk: Why Sticking with Windows XP Is a Bad Idea http://sdrv.ms/YN3PJDW...
Thank youContact: Christopher BirdTel: 020 3011 5863Email: c.a.bird@cloudhound.co.ukWeb: www.cloudhound.co.ukC A Bird ‐ e:...
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in …5
×

Is sticking with xp a really bad idea

246 views
181 views

Published on

Win XP support ends April 2014 Upgrade? Get the facts you decide.

Published in: Technology, News & Politics
0 Comments
1 Like
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

No Downloads
Views
Total views
246
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
9
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
3
Comments
0
Likes
1
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Is sticking with xp a really bad idea

  1. 1. Is sticking with XP a really BAD idea?Explained in Two MinutesSource:  IDC White Paper
  2. 2. Windows XP a good business decision?• IT labour support costs– Year 4 ‐ 25% rise– Year 5 ‐ 29% rise• Employee productivity costs – Year 4 23% jump– Year 5 40% jump• IT productivity metric in hours per PC per year – XP patch management 49%– Win 7 patch management drops 82%– Windows XP requires over five times more hours per PC per year • Replace Win XP with Win 7 – 70% support cost reduction in terms of hours per PC per yearSource:  IDC White Paper C A Bird ‐ e: c.a.bird@office365administrator.com ‐ t: 020 3011 5863   2
  3. 3. Windows XP productivity• Five‐year‐old PCs running Windows XP, per PC, per year– Employee productivity cost ‐ 55% higher – IT help desk cost ‐ 59% higher– Help desk spend 58% of their time fixing XP– Resolving Win XP downtime issues 35%• Move to Win 7 (help desk 58% & 35% figures above) reduce by 79% ‐ 84%– Compare year 5 with year 2 combined XP IT labour costs and user productivity costs surge by 73%.Source:  IDC White Paper C A Bird ‐ e: c.a.bird@office365administrator.com ‐ t: 020 3011 5863   3
  4. 4. Business case Against Win XP • Support time spent per PC per year – Win XP, 11.3 hours– Win 7, 2.3 hours (9 hours less than Win XP)– Support 230 Win XP PC’s – 40 hours per week– Win XP support hours per PC per year• Reboot 28% • User awaiting help desk support 52%– Combine reboot & helpdesk ‐ 80% of users lost time• Win 7, 94% reboot reduction, help desk under 1 hour• Win 7 users gain an additional 7.8 working hours • Migration from Win XP to Win 7‐ 137% ROI over 3 years Source:  IDC White Paper C A Bird ‐ e: c.a.bird@office365administrator.com ‐ t: 020 3011 5863   4
  5. 5. Windows XP meets current needs whether it is supported or not?• As stability, security risks increase support challenges escalate– Budget wasted could be better used to modernise IT. • Win XP ‐ 3 generations behind Win 8– MS XP support ends ‐ fewer IT personal capable and willing to support XP   • Compliance issues ‐ may apply– Regulatory requirements mandate that software be maintained and kept current with patches and fixes. Source:  IDC White Paper C A Bird ‐ e: c.a.bird@office365administrator.com ‐ t: 020 3011 5863   5
  6. 6. Summary• Supporting Win XP compared to Win 7 costs 19% more.– Reasons system crashes, security woes, waiting for support & system reboots. • Coalesce IT expertise around a single product lowers support cost• New hardware offers user productivity gains Note: Analysis does not allow for applications that must be replaced (Win 7 can run applications in XP mode).Source:  IDC White Paper C A Bird ‐ e: c.a.bird@office365administrator.com ‐ t: 020 3011 5863   6
  7. 7. Office 365 AdministratorReference:IDC ‐ Mitigating Risk: Why Sticking with Windows XP Is a Bad Idea http://sdrv.ms/YN3PJDWindows XP support ends April 2014Server 2003 support ends July 2015C A Bird ‐ e: c.a.bird@office365administrator.com ‐ t: 020 3011 5863   7
  8. 8. Thank youContact: Christopher BirdTel: 020 3011 5863Email: c.a.bird@cloudhound.co.ukWeb: www.cloudhound.co.ukC A Bird ‐ e: c.a.bird@office365administrator.com ‐ t: 020 3011 5863   8

×