Transcript of "The GLAM partnership between Wikimédia France and Toulouse"
The partnership between Wikimédia
France and the city of Toulouse
GLAM-WIKI:UK London, Nov. 27 2010
Overview of the partnership
● Help Toulouse cultural institutions release free
cultural content for Wikimedia projects
● Already two ongoing projects :
● Museum of Toulouse (“Phoebus”) [1000 pictures]
● Archives of Toulouse (Eugène Trutat) [200 pictures]
● It's about (scientific) quality, not quantity
● Future projects have already been suggested...
From there... to here.
April 2009 - Archeodontosaurus October 2010 - Signature of the partnership
With two active projects
Museum of Toulouse (1000 pics) Eugène Trutat (Archives – 200 pics)
“Wikipedia cannot work in theory, it
can only work in practice.”
The WMFR/Toulouse timeline (1)
● Apr. 2009 : emails between “Archeodontosaurus” (DD) and Serein
(AA), head of WMFR. Project forwarded to WMFR's board
● Jun. 2009 : IRL meeting AA/DD in Toulouse
● Feb. 2010 : Bastien (BG) joins WMFR staff and meet IRL with AA, DD
and Daniel Borderies (DB), Toulouse mayor's adviser.
● Feb. 2010 : BG sends documents to Toulouse : about previous GLAM
partnerships, Commons and CC
● Mar. 2010 : meeting at the Museum of Toulouse (BG, DD, Museum,
head of culture from Toulouse City Council, etc.)
● May. 2010 : meeting at Toulouse's town hall: settlement of the
Museum project, launch of the Archives project.
● Jun. 2010 : a personal appeal from BG towards WMFR volunteers
The WMFR/Toulouse timeline (2)
● April 2010 : First uploads by DD (Téviec skull, FP).
● May 2010 : Bug : WMFR schedule vs. Museum ones.
● Jun. 2010 : the Museum opens the doors of the collection to photographers
from WMFR and Commons
● Jul. 2010 : BG drafts agreements (with the Museum, the Archives and the
City of Toulouse) and submit them to WMFR's board and institutions
● Jul. 2010 : Contact with the Archives for Trutat's collection
● Aug. 2010 : BG sets up a flickr account for internal purpose (adding
metadata) and share it with photographers, who start uploading there
● Aug. 2010 : WMFR receives data from the Archives.
● Sep. 2010 : Museum pics uploaded on Commons. JF processes Eugène
Trutat collection's metadata.
● Sep. 2010 : Last minute bug : Trutat's pictures are public domain...
Validation of the three agreements (City, Museum, Archives)
● Oct. 2010 : Signature of the partnership (during the Novela festival)
● “It's okay to fail...”
● “... just keep moving forward” – God, personal communication
● Have a champion through the whole process
● Understand the GLAM institutions (internal
procedures, hierarchical/political environment)
● Involve the community early in the process
● Build upon GLAM's communication/exhibition
● This couldn't have been done without a chapter
GLAM partnerships energy graph
Work on agreements
The “GLAM machine”
“Hey, can I upload
some videos I made
for the Museum?”
“Sure !” (Museum)
“Sure !” (WMFR)