Backup Powersystems - David Martin - Dantherm Power - April 2010
Focus. Trust. Initiative.
Nordic Green II - April 2010
Answers that might surprise you
• Can I buy one today?
• Will it save me money?
• Anybody important using them?
• Can they power my IT network?
• Should I have one at home?
• Is yours like the Bloom box?
10 years away or just around the
How do you measure success?
• Deployed on every continent
• Meet every performance metric
• Exceed reliability & durability needs
• Preferred choice for most advanced
networks in the world
• Dominant technology for Backup
The integrated communication solution
Hydrogen storage cabinets
using compressed and
hydrogen in shelters
Power Supply module with integrated UPS
or power backup and reformer integrated
when running on methanol
2 million hours with
• Nationwide TETRA
• Dantherm supplied integrated
cabinet solution including cooling,
power, and radios:
– 330 sites with battery back up (4 hours all that
– 125 critical sites with hydrogen based power
back up (168 hours)
• Eliminate batteries at critical sites to
ensure power available for 15 years
with annual service only
• 15 Temporary Power sites in Canada
– Cheaper and friendlier than diesels until grid is connected
• GSM-R station in Norway Indoor
– Reduced energy consumption for heat/cooling
– Increased maintenance to 2 year cycle from 6 month
• Extreme Climate Indoor/Outdoor site
– Complete battery replacement for remote telecom site
• High power Indoor Backup Power system
– Emergency power for critical communications and healthcare
• Large operator sites in Canada
– Low maintenance, battery and genset replacement
• Mobile Network expansion with standalone equipment
– Easy deployment of new network plus high value Backup
• Data, VoIP, and pharmaceutical power quality & reliability
– Keep patients, doctors, clinicians and medicine safe and available
Temp. Power sites for new Canadian operator
Continuous use for 3-6 Months till mains grid is connected from utility
1,7 kW UPS system in rack
Battery free configuration eliminates
extra heating/cooling system.
Zero millisecond transfer from grid
Standard 1,7 kW module in custom
indoor cabinet, 16 hours outdoor.
GSM-R station subjected to
extensive vibration from trains.
Extreme climate Northern remote
Battery free configuration reduces cost
Eliminates need for air conditioners.
Reduces energy consumption and
improves power quality.
0 ms bridge from grid power to full fuel
13,4 kW backup power system in racks
• Battery hybrid backup power
system for big Chinese network
• 2 racks with each 4 modules of
1,7 kW standard units
• DC power source for large
telecom and data sites
• External storage can provide
extended power for emergency
5 kW backup power system in rack
Battery free backup power system for use in big
telecom shelters for top operator in Canada.
1 rack with 3 x 1,7 kW standard units
16 hours on-site with 6 hr. response
Economizer replacement – pulls heat out
Wireless Outdoor Cabinet
Complete system 6kWe for 12 hours
Battery free Backup power system for large OEM
Single 36U rack with:
• 3 x 2 kW standard units or
• 2 x 2 kW plus LTE radios
12 hour Backup from standard H2 cylinders for
critical and remote sites
Easy way to
Data Indoor Cabinets - UPS
Stand-alone 4 hours 2 kWe
UPS for critical individual
5kWe Backup extenders use front-
end of UPS eases integration,
requires no unplugging.
Easy way to add or
extend data backup with
TempPower 1 kW DC, urban setting, 25% less $$ than diesel
Backup fibre 2.7 kW DC, 16hours, 30% savings over battery/generator
Backup data 5 kW AC, 16 hours, 5 times per year, -20% over bat/gen
Remote PV 1.6 kW DC, 400 hours per year, -15% CapEx and -25% OpEx
Backup BTS 1.5 kW DC, 24hours onsite, 20% savings over batt/gen
• I won’t be here in 10 years.
• That is a different budget.
• Somebody said they are dangerous.
• Who will fuel and fix it