4. What is your connection to socialnetworking in higher education? This is a contest! Please tweet your answer (if you can) using both: #MADLaT2012 and #SNHE Person to hit the mystery number wins a prize
5. “human learningpresupposes a specific social nature” Lev Vygotsky
7. We learn through social interactions inauthentic, situated contexts . Community of Practice. (Lave & Wenger)
8. Where we started: Discussion forum in Moodle.
9. We added more tools – most we still use: But now, we have added …
10. Self-Study in Teacher Education: Working together to critique our practice and totry to resolve some of the challenges like:• Student engagement• Faculty engagement• Student ownership and authentic participation• Using social networking to improve our practice
11. Educational design research is thesystematic study of designing,developing and evaluatingeducational programs, processesand products
12. Six Requirements forEducational DesignResearch
13. Explore significanteducational problems, ratherthan conduct research for itsown sake
14. Define a pedagogicaloutcome and createlearning environmentsthat address it.
15. Emphasize content andpedagogy rather thantechnology.
16. Give special attention tosupporting human interactionsand nurturing learningcommunities
17. Modify the learningenvironments until thepedagogical outcome isreached
18. Reflect on the process:reveal design principlesthat can inform futureprojects
19. Ning Focus Group
20. See opinions of other members and connect with pre-service teachersIn your opinion, whatare the educational Able to remain a member even after graduationbenefits of using Ning Provides a way to collaboratefor teaching and on ideas and keep in touch once employed as professionallearning? teachers.Members can share resources Others perspective.PLN - Connect globally not just Collaborate ideas in the group.locally. Go beyond class lecture“User-friendly”. Similar to othersocial networking Post discussion questions for help and feedback. FindExtend learning outside of the resources of activeclassroom. participation. Diverse opinions.
21. In your opinion, how Provided an extension of class discussions to get othersdoes the use of Ning opinionsenhance the course Allowed members to gainyou are currently experience leading a specific online discussion board.enrolled in? Users were able to create a blog within the siteBeneficial as an assessment toolAllows for question/answer directed Created events that others into profs and peers the faculty could join or offer commentsAllows for reflection on one’s ownthinking/learning Using technology in theLearning beyond classroom lecture: classroom.Invited greater detail for exploring Members can join any grouptopics within the course
22. Navigating was limited,In your opinion, whatlimitations does Ning very overwhelming at the beginning. Forced to use thishave as it relates to site-marks. Takes fun out of it, posts feel “forced”.your ability to Marked for grammar, spellingsucceed in this etc., not content, specifically impedes the flow ofcourse? discussion. Priority of the Ning is low compared to other assignments. Minimal professor feedback, which discourages participation. Does not draw attention as a social networking site.
23. Difficult process to find another person’s blog: had toIn your opinion, what type in their namewould you change One more account andabout Ning? password to remember The way it is used: forEasier accessibility to other users example-marking techniques,pages participate marks only, keep assignments to moodle.Simplify it: many groups areduplicated or very similar Open to more than just EdBe able to get on Ning without going students and alumni –includeto the BU faculty of education cooperating teachers andwebsite other school divisions etc.
24. Should be linked to BUIn your opinion, Ning webmail account.has the following Site needs an area to uploadtechnological Words/PowerPoint/Excel filesrestrictions? Online file storage is nil. Cannot post videos and links are difficult to apply. DoesOne more account name/password not flow well, outline set up hard to follow, hard to searchLook and feel could be fresher for people. You cannot invite people that are not your friends to your group without their e-mail addresses
25. Overall this was a great way toExit Slip: What kind connect to others in other streams/years.of format/product Orientation would be anwould you like to see excellent time to provide aas a follow up to this tutorial for students as we felt we were just thrown in and toldstudy? to use it. This might encourage more active participation. We would like to see the findings of this study posted to name/BU and website. We would like to see some of our suggestions put into action. Feels like a chore. If it doesnt change, as a graduate we cannot see ourselves using this by choice
26. Thanks for attending! Now , just for fun … http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T37q9Lx6sw Mike: firstname.lastname@example.org Jackie: email@example.com Clark: firstname.lastname@example.org