3. About BashoOur Mission is to Be The Leader in Distributed Systems• Founded January 2008• 115+ employees• Headquartered in Cambridge, withregional offices in San Francisco,Washington DC, London and Tokyo• Makers of Riak & Riak CS• Thousands of Users Worldwide includingover 20% of the Fortune 50• 30,000+ downloads per month now upfrom 19,500 in Dec 2011• Strategic Partners include Citrix, IDCFrontier, Yahoo! Japan, and Microsoft
4. Product SuiteBasho’s distributed systems technologies EnterpriseDSOpen Source Distributed Database Commercial Distributed Database Distributed Cloud Storage Pla7orm • Always-‐available, scalable, ops-‐friendly NoSQL database • Over 35,000 downloads per month • Thousands of users worldwide • Version 1.0 unveiled September 2011 • Adds mulK-‐data center replicaKon & Basho 24x7 support • Enables Secondary Search and MapReduce Clusters • Requires commercial contract and secure download • Version 1.4 in May 2013 • Expands with mulK-‐tenancy, large object support, metering and Amazon S3 API • Enables public and private cloud storage • SoXware released to open source on March 20th
6. Riak CSis...enterprise cloud storageRiakS3-compatibility multi-tenancy per user reporting builton topoflarge object storage
7. Enabling you to host your ownPUBLICPRIVATE&CLOUDSor….Reliable Storage Behind Apps
8. Riak CS Use CasesPublic CloudStorageS3 Without AWS Cloud Drive(General Content Storage)Backup-as-a-ServiceArchival andPreservationStorage forInternalClients / Depts.
17. RiakMasterless• No master/slave or different roles• All nodes are equal• Write availability and scalability • All nodes can accept/route requests
18. RiakNo Sharding• Consistent hashing• Prevents “hot spots”• Lowers operational burden of scale• Data rebalanced automatically
19. RiakAvailability and Fault-Tolerance • Automatically replicates data• Read and write data duringhardware failure and networkpartition• Hinted handoff
20. USERSmulti-tenancy:Riak CS will trackindividual usage/statsaccess_key secret_keyusers identiﬁed by users authenticated by
21. BUCKETSusers create buckets.buckets are like folders.store objects in buckets.names are globally unique.
22. OBJECTSstored in buckets.store any ﬁle type.
23. Basic OperationsS3 API Commands s3cmd mb s3://pavan-test s3cmd ls s3://pavan-test s3cmd put README.txt s3://pavan-test s3cmd get s3://pavan-test/README.txt
25. Riak CS Large Object Support• Started with 5GB / object• Now have multipart upload• Content agnostic
26. Riak CS S3-Compatible API• Use existing S3 libraries and tools• RESTful operations• Multipart upload • S3-style ACLs for object/bucketpermissions• S3 authentication scheme
27. Riak CS Administration and Users• Interface for user creation,deletion, and credentials • Conﬁgure so only admins cancreate users
28. Riak CS New Stuff in Riak 1.3• Multipart upload: parts between5MB and 5GB • Restrict access to buckets based onsource IP
29. Multi-Datacenter Replication• For active backups, availabilityzones, disaster recovery, globaltraffic• Real-time or full-sync• 24/7 support• Per-node or storage-based pricing“[deploying Riak CS] reduces the risk of using AWS and allowscustomers to store their data in their own data centers, on theirown terms.” - Alex Williams, TechCrunch