Michael Boo fa
buffa [noun] (boo-fuh)
1. a human being with the writing skills of a robot.
2. a cattle driver, leading humans, not animals.
3. a media arts militia packed with an arsenal of marketing artillery.
4. a savvy social communicator often seen schmoozing on the digital playground.
“Your blog is the
unedited version of
- Wise Buddha
1. The Good Life: Insights, ideas, and opinions on all things advertising.
2. The Daily Interest: Analyzing Media | One Day At a Time
3. Buff’s Blog: Communications 2.0 | Influence Media
4. Yo: Content + Copy. Infographics and Infrastructures Of Advertising
5. Posterous: Design, digital, and data (Microblog)
6. MichaelBuffa.com | The Future of Business Is Social
Company: Westminster College
Position: Marketing Intern/College Relations
Role: As a college relations intern at
Westminster College, I was responsible
for creating content for our quarterly
Alumni publication Leadership.
Below you will find one of my articles, 11 Ways to
Be a Leader in the Age of Globalization.
The Alumni aren’t coming to Westmisnter College.
Westminster will go to the Alumni.
Helped strategize and conceptualize a mobile marketing tour for the
college. Four students, hit 18 cities in 20 days, took video, tweeted,
posted blogs, pictures, and videos from each event and posted them on
Put Westminster College “on the map.” Literally.
Title: Marketing Specialist
Roles: Traditional marketing: Direct mail, email, press releases
Digital marketing: Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Blogging
Success: Increased online presence and SEO. Within three months,
referring sites made up 39% of website traffic, overtaking direct traffic and
search engine traffic as the number one source of website visitors.
Talk + Play
_ a digital communications agency.
Mission: To help small businesses create, cultivate, and share content on
Talk + Play was born out of an avid interest in social media and the digital
marketing community. More and more brands were on Twitter, and less
and less content was being produced for these brands. Empty accounts
were everywhere. I have worked with brands on multiple campaigns
offering writing, marketing, and video production services from inception
Talk + Play
Goal: To increase brand awareness, Medium: Facebook Fan Page,
generate speaking leads, and Twitter, Email, Youtube. Marketed,
promote books/events via digital managed, and maintained media
media. relations for the Continued Fight.
Goal: To introduce the brand and to Medium: Created a 12-15 minute
recruit, and train individuals on how video to promote on Facebook,
to become a U Design Jewelry Rep. Youtube, email, and website.
Goal: To increase brand awareness, Medium: Created content that will
get more people in the door, and excite partiers in STL, and delivered
build relationships with prospective that content through Myspace,
customers. Twitter, and Facebook to targeted
10 Interesting Facts
1. I don’t do web design, but I’ve worked with web designers.
2. I don’t do graphic design, but I’ve worked with graphic designers.
3. I don’t have agency experience, but I know more about an agency
than you’d think.
4. I’ve written over 50 articles on advertising/marketing.
5. I write for Rebus.
6. I once created an ad campaign for myself. You can view the video
7. I've always had an eye for design. Never for creating, but for
evaluating and understanding.
8. When I’m not working, I enjoy movies. I’m working on content for a
movie blog in my free time.
7 Awesome Skills
1. Writing (It’s no longer a skill, it’s a habit)
2. Social Media Platforms (still learning, way ahead of the curve)
3. Management/Delegation (working w/ agents, clients, brands,
4. Organization (multiple brands, multiple projects)
5. Versatility (real estate, bar/live music venue, college, speaker/author)
6. Passion (reading, learning, blogging, educating)
7. Strategy (from conception to completion)
Address: 1800 S. Brentwood Blvd St. Louis, MO 63144 Apt 313
tel: 636.284.5354 eml: mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org url: http://www.michaelbuffa.com
I’m a recent college graduate with an ever-increasing interest in all aspects of
communications, marketing, and media. I’m a writer, a thinker, a strategist, an
accountable, and a planner. While many people are specialists in one category or industry,
I am a generalist, looking for ways to expand and integrate into any business. Past
leadership positions, prior work experiences, and a successful undergraduate education
have provided me with the skills necessary to succeed in almost any business scenario.
I’m ready to learn, launch, and lead in an exciting new atmosphere.
DIGITAL STRATEGY/MANAGING DIRECTOR | TALK + PLAY ST. LOUIS, MO 2009-PRESENT
Talk + Play is a social communications company. Talk consults businesses on social media
strategies. Play produces visual content for social networks. I write, create, design, market,
manage, and promote for three major brands: Upper End Properties, Sky Music Lounge,
and the Continued Fight.
MARKETING SPECIALIST | UPPER END PROPERTIES ST. LOUIS, MO 2009
Implementing an online and social media strategy into Upper End's business model.
Working with the company and its agents on branding initiatives. Helping increase brand
awareness though direct mail, press releases, blogging, and other integrated social media
MARKETING INTERN | WESTMINSTER COLLEGE FULTON, MO 2008-2009
Work under the Executive Director of Alumni and College Relations and in coordination with
Multimedia Designer on various marketing and public relations projects such as billboards,
postcards, ﬂyers for campus events and lectures, redesign of Alumni publication, the
building of a brand awareness campaign for the college, and the strategy behind a mobile
Westminster College | Fulton, MO — B.A. Marketing, 2009
Student Ambassador President
Kappa Alpha Order
Students in Free Enterprise
Westminster Men’s Soccer Team
Advertising Club St. Louis: Rebus Writer
Social Media Club St. Louis