Filing Information: January 2013, IDC #238987, Volume: 1
CMO Advisory Service: Top 10 Predictions
T O P 1 0 P R E D I C T I O N S
W o r l d w i d e C h i e f M a r k e t i n g O f f i c e r 2 0 1 3 T o p 1 0
P r e d i c t i o n s : T o d a y ' s C M O B e c o m e s M a s t e r o f D a t a
Richard Vancil Kathleen Schaub
P R E D I C T I O N S
1. The C-suite (CEO, CFO, and COO) will demand that the CMO produce both a
strategy and a plan for how market-driven data will significantly contribute to
2. The CMO and the CIO will begin the year as functional peers and end the year
as either friends or frenemies, and per the CEO, the CIO will become more
actively involved with the CMO in all marketing automation decisions that have
3. The automation outlay could approach 10% of marketing's discretionary budget in
2013, with two-thirds of the total outlay coming from marketing and one-third
coming from IT; for "best practice" organizations, this will shift to 50:50 by 2014.
4. Even with their new partnership with the CIO, many CMOs will find that their
positions are in jeopardy as they failed to produce a robust data analytics
function — or even a game plan to get there.
5. Starting in 2013, after the CMO realizes that he/she does not have the skill sets
in place for data analytics proficiency, 50% of new marketing hires will have
6. Eight out of ten companies will report that most social media initiative growth is
taking place outside of marketing.
7. By the end of 2013, 5% of CMOs will shift to a "mobile first" strategy.
8. Content isn't king — it's a wild beast; In 2013, CMOs will be pragmatic, shifting
focus less on big platform projects and more on linking access to audience
9. The demand for greater insight into the revenue impact of marketing and sales will
require that older CRM systems be replaced, creating infrastructure disruption.
10. High-tech pipeline conversion metrics will continue to improve; expect a 20%
improvement in target-to-deal ratios and a 10% reduction in time to create a
customer, with both due to better automation and analytics-driven process