Mary Joy Veras SYSAD323
1. First, you have to Open your virtual box and click on NEW to create a
new virtual machine.
2. Then, select the amount of base memory. The recommended memory size is
384 MB but I choose 256 MB to enable the use of my laptop, because of its
limited memory, thus, more memory allocation is preferred for the productive
use of the guest operating system.
• Then, create new Virtual Hard Disk
• Be sure to have your iso file obtain at the laboratory.
• Then click Next
3. Select the type of virtual hard disk. I choose dynamically expanding storage so
that it will grow up to the size specified as the guest OS claims disk space.
• Then, click NEXT
4. Then on the next step you will select the location and size of the virtual Disk.
The default size is 8.00 GB.
• Then click NEXT
5. A new hard disk will be created after you press the FINISH button.
6. Select your virtual machine and click the settings button, select storage and
select the virtual cd Drive that you will use and browse the ubuntu iso file.
7. On the setting, select System then then change the size of the base memory
to proceed to next step.
8. Lastly this is the output. Then select the virtual machine you make and click
start to run.
9. The Virtual Machine starts, Then you have to install the ubuntu by following
10. This is the Ubuntu Installer main menu. Click YES to determine your
11.Click Continue for the keyboard layout detection complete.
12. The virtual machine will scan the Cd Rom
13. It will load the additional components.
14. Click continue to configure the network
15. Enter hostname then continue.
16. Partition the disks. Click the Guided with set up LVM then enter.
17. Just select the highlighted word
19. Select YES
20.SELECT Continue the system
21. Write the changes to disk , Click YES!
22. Select CONTINUE
23. Assign the user and the password
24. Verify the password
25. Encrypt your directory, Click YES!
26. You can now log in to your Ubuntu Using the user name and password
27. Now you will :
• apt-get update
• apt-get upgrade
• apt-get install samba smbfs smbclient
• apt-get install g++ gcc cpp
• apt-get install libgcc libgcc1-dbg libstdc++6-4.3-dev libgmp3-dev
• apt-get install imlib11 automake make giblib1 perl
• apt- get install libxxf86gba-dev xserver-xorg-dev x-windows-system
• then restart your virtual box
29. Installation of libcg-dev
30. Installation of libbt-dev
31. Installation of libc6
32. Installation of libbt-dev
33. Installation of libbt
34. Installation of libfontconfig1-dbg
35. Installation of libfontconfig1-dev
36. Installation of blacbox, xterm and xinit:
apt-get install blackbox
apt-get install xterm menu
apt-get install xinit
37. Output of installing blackbox
38. The output of xterm
39. The output of installing menu
40. the xterm terminal
INSTALLING WEB BROWSER USING DPKG
1. download a deb file of your desire web browser. Then Create a directory
which is extr and mountpoint. You have to mount the file using:
mount /dev/sdb1 /home/joy/mountpoint.
2. Then go to the directory where you mount it: cd mountpoint.
3. Then cp the file to extr: cp iceweasel_22.214.171.124pre2.deb /home/joy/extr
Then go to the directory extr to check the file.
4. Then type: dpkg –i iceweasel_126.96.36.199pre2.deb then wait for the process to
finish. If there’s any dependencies like I’ve encountered. Just install it.
5. Output: THE ICEWEASEL
INSTALLATION OF FILE MANAGER: THE BSCommander(double panel)
1. In installing file manager, I acquired a .tar.gz file from the net. I extracted
the content using tar-xvzf bsc_2.27_x86.tar.gz. Then cd to the extracted
directory and type ./configure, make and make install.
2. after the installation, You can now view your file manager on the xterm menu
3. The output: BSCommander