Facebook - How to Build a Fan Page
What is a fan page?
A facebook fan page is where a business belongs on facebook.
Why make a fan page?
You are not supposed to send commercial messages through your personal Facebook
profile as outlined by the terms of service on facebook. This is the reason why Facebook
created fan pages to accommodate businesses.
What makes a fan page business oriented?
A Facebook fan page is business oriented largely due to the level of privacy – Facebook
fan pages add a privacy layer between the fans and the fan page owner. As a fan you
cannot see the personal information of the fan page owner and vice versa. This is most
suitable for agents who do not want to expose clients to their friends and family on
Note: You need to have a personal Facebook profile before you can to create a fan page.
What should my fan page include?
Your fan page should demonstrate your real estate knowledge. Aim to provide good
quality engaging information as your network will naturally grow through
recommendations between your fan population. Focus on specific topics such as certain
aspects of real estate (for e.g. certain neighbourhoods, downsizing). You may also center
your fan page around yourself if you have established clientele.
1. Go to the Facebook homepage by either typing ‘facebook’ into Google and
following the suggestion or typing ‘www.facebook.com’ into the address bar.
2. Log-in to your Facebook profile by entering your email and your password.
3. Return to the address bar at the top of your browser and type in
‘www.facebook.com/pages’ and hit ‘Enter’ to arrive to the home page of fan
4. Click on the ‘+ Create Page’ button located at the top right corner of the page.
5. Select ‘Local Business’ by checking off the box. Select ‘Real Estate’ from the
dropdown box. Enter page name (note: your page name should reflect the topic or
the focus of your fan page. For e.g. ‘Downsizing Your Home in Toronto’)
6. Check off the box to indicate that you are the official representative of the page
and click ‘Create Official Page’.
7. Hover over the picture icon and click on ‘Change Picture’ when the link appears.
To add a picture, click ‘Upload Picture’ when it appears.
8. Click ‘Browse’ (ensure that your picture is placed in an accessible location on
your computer) and select the picture from your computer.
9. When finished selecting, click ‘Upload Picture’ and wait until the picture is seen
in place of the picture icon.
10. On the left column of the page (below the picture), write a brief description about
the selected topic of the home page in the text box. When finished, click on a
blank spot of the page to publish.
11. Click on the ‘Info’ tab to add information about your fan page. Once the tab is
highlighted, click the ‘Edit Information’ link to fill in your basic information.
Once your basic information is filled, click ‘Save Changes’ to finish.
12. To add more detailed information, extend the ‘Detailed Info’ bar to unveil the
section to add your own personal website and other social outlets. Once finished,
click ‘Save Changes’.
13. To create a photo album (to show new listing photos, community events you were
part of, etc.), click on the “Photos” tab, click on the “Create a Photo Album”, fill
out album information and click the blue button ‘Create album”.
14. To upload your photos, click “Browse”, select a photo you wish to upload, and
click ‘Upload Photos’ when finished selecting all the photos you would like to
upload. It is a good idea to keep all your photos in an easy to find folder on your
computer, such as My DocumentsPhotos or even in a folder on your desktop
marked “Facebook Fan Page Photos”.
15. Click on the photo icon to return to home fan page.
16. To remove tabs, click on a tab (such as “Reviews”) which will take you to the tab
(Reviews) page, and hover over the tab, click the pencil button beside the tab and
17. The “Discussions” tab allows you and your clients to discuss any manner of
topics, from listing information to your next community event.
18. Click “Start New Topic” to begin a new discussion, enter a title and a question to
begin a discussion to engage your clients.
Adding other useful tabs
19. To add additional tabs (for example the “Notes” tab), click on the ‘+’ button and
select the application you would like to add.
20. Add an “Events” tab. To create an event, click on the ‘Create Event’ button and
fill in the details of your event in the respective boxes.
21. Select ‘Share +’ button on the bottom left column of your fan page to post a link
to your profile. Add a small description to let others know that you’ve created a
new fan page.
22. To add specific individuals, send a message to the person you would like to invite
to your home page.