Creating a Winning Life Sciences Innovation Strategy in an Era of Scarcity
Crea%ng a Winning Life Sciences
Innova%on Strategy in an Era of Scarcity
Steve Brown, Chairman, Billionlights Founda7on;
Founder and Former CEO, Health Hero Network
(acquired by Robert Bosch GmbH)
Saturday, October 11, 2008
Necessity, who is the
mother of inven2on.
Plato, 360 B.C.
Crea%ng a Winning Innova%on Strategy
• An Entrepreneur’s Perspec%ve
• Roots of Life Sciences Innova%on
1. Iden%fy Great Problems
2. Seek New Connec%ons
3. Tap Into Passion
• Ques%ons to ask Innova%ve Companies
Health Hero Network Story
We recognized a problem
Too much eﬀort spent trea%ng the
complica%ons of chronic disease, and not
enough on preven%ng them
We had an idea
A technology plaRorm to enable a beSer
model of care based on iden%fying
problems early and changing behavior
This is a New Era with New Necessity
20th Century 21st Century
– Conquer Nature – Respect Nature
– Assume Unlimited – Assume Limited
– Physical Sciences & – Life Sciences &
Mul%ple Paths Address Same Problems
• Both innova%ons improve diabetes care
• Both combine preexis%ng elements in new ways
• One is a chemical en%ty, the other IT
• One treats the human body, the other behavior
Life Science is Informa%on Science
Part of the DNA code to determine eye color… Part of the binary code to make an eye image…
Valuable Innova%ons Simplify Complexity
<?php make_iris() ?>
…and Stand on Many Shoulders
Beauty is truth, truth Beauty,
‐ that is all ye know on earth,
and all ye need to know.
Ques%ons to ask Innova%ve Companies
• What is the big idea?
– Does this company address a big problem, or is it a
“tuck in” to someone else’s big idea?
• What is the new connec%on?
– Where is the solu%on on the overall network of
approaches addressing the problem?
– Do innovators stand on many shoulders to ﬁnd new
connec%ons and simplify complexity?
• Where is the root of the passion?
– Is there a source of passion strong enough to aSract
the best people and enable them to persevere?