1. The Human Touch: It Really Matters Resource Site: h"p://goo.gl/yTjkA Michelle Pacansky-Brockwww.teachingwithoutwalls.com @brocansky
2. CA Community College Headcount 06-07 through 09-10California Community College Chancellor’s Ofﬁce, 2011 Distance Education Report.Retrieved from http://www.cccco.edu/Portals/4/AA/Final%20DE%202011%20Report.pdf 2
3. Study: More Latino Students Fail Online• 2005-2009, 4.5 million Latino and white student records throughout CA CCs• Grade gap between whites and latinos is 44% wider online than F2F• Online: Latinos are less likely to pass, earn lower grades, and have withdrawal rates twice as high as Latinos in F2F classesRaymond Kaupp (publica=on forthcoming), The Gap Between Latino and White Student Achievement inOnline Classes. The Journal of Applied Research in the Community College. 3
4. Study: More Latino Students Fail OnlineWhy? • Rooted in Latino attitudes towards education • Relationships matter 4
5. “I feel like I don’t get to know the instructor as well as if I were in a clasroom situation. I hardly knnow what he looks like. I don’t really know what he sounds like, how he lectures or anything except what is written.” The online experience is “just a lot of work...reading and trying to understand all the concepts. I deﬁnitely work better being in a classroom.” - Latino online student Kaupp studyRetrieved from h"p://www.edsource.org/extra/2011/study-‐grade-‐gap-‐between-‐la=nos-‐and-‐white-‐community-‐college-‐students-‐wider-‐on-‐online-‐courses/2665 5
6. CCC Guidelines“Regular and effective contact.” 6
7. Would you ever expect your face-to-face students toread everything you want to say to them? 7
8. Then why do we do this to our online students? 8
9. Students Agree• Video comments, announcements, and feedback enhances your social presence.• Help students get to know you and relate to your course.• Keep students motivated and engaged.
10. Student Survey Results Student Survey Results101 online students surveyed, 87 responses received (88% response rate)• 98% Strongly Agreed or Agreed: Video communications from their instructor increased the sense that she was present in their learning experience.Pacansky-Brock, 2008.
11. Increased Class Increase Class Comple=on Rates Completion Rates• 10% increase in class completion rate with students using “Human Presence Learning Model” (SBCC, Douglas Hersh, 2010)
12. Weekly Announcement
13. Effective PracticeAnnouncements in Text & Video
14. “The best part of the class was seeing yourface pop up every week.” – online student
15. Video Announcements• Required tools: – a script – a webcam – a free YouTube account – a quiet place with decent front lighting – a course management system or website to embed the message in.
16. Tips!• Announcements should include “fresh” content. Students recognize the difference.• Use student names in your communications (praise excellent work).• Reference current events.• Don’t worry about being perfect – be you.
17. Be clear and accessible.Specify how long thevideo is and include alink to the transcript.
18. Download“The Guide” • Go to goo.gl/yTjkA • Click on “The Guide”