View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
Digital Toolbox for
st Century Learning
Al-Taqwa College 2013
How is it different?
• Very fast – almost instant – sharing of audio, text
• Much more data stored in smaller spaces.
• Visual data are more prominent.
• Global access – few restrictions to
communication across the world.
• 24/7 – not restricted to 9-to-5 on weekdays
‘school’ or ‘working’ hours.
• Anyone can publish – not just the ‘experts’.
• Many more opportunities to find people of
What does this mean for teaching
• Teachers are no longer the “font of all
• Students don’t need to memorize facts.
• Questions shouldn’t be easily ‘googled’.
• Instead of rote learning; analysis, evaluation
inquiry, problem-solving and creation should be
• Students need to be taught to evaluate the
reliability of information.
• Opportunities for peer collaboration with likeminds – “Collective Knowledge Construction”
• For reluctant writers and students with
• Assess the understanding of concepts in
science (predict, observe, explain)
• Tell stories and then convert to text
Notice boards and sticky notes
Exit slips – what have you learnt?
Questions students have about a topic
Surveys – what do you want to learn?
Padlet (formerly Wallwisher)
• Create annotated images that contain links to
websites, videos, cartoons, other images etc.
• Not just a static image, but a dynamic,
• Use for student research projects, extension
work and introductions to new topics.
Annotations with colour
Can be embedded in blogs, wikis etc.
Multiple people can comment on images
Can upload photos or videos from files, Flickr
Create forms (for student surveys)
Embed into blogs and wikis
Students can create their own webpage in a wiki and
use the URL to create a QR (quick response) code that
directs the user to the information in their webpage.
• Treasure hunts
• Mystery organs/systems/animals/plants
• Link to student-created quizzes, videos, wiki
• Add to school magazine to show student work
• QR code generator at
We use Skype and Blackboard Collaborate to
connect with our Scientist in Schools partner,
Melissa Toifl, from CSIRO Land and Water
Technologies, in Highett and Clayton.
Products for Assessment
Blogs > global2 or edublogs
Slideshows > Slideshare
Animations > ToonDo
Cartoons > ComicLife
E-Posters > Glogster
Digital stories > Photostory
Team work > Wikispaces
Mash-ups > Windows Movie Maker; iMovie
Videos > You-Tube; Vimeo
Technology does not replace experiments
Does every student have access to devices?
Does every student have internet access?
Preferred learning styles?
Concentration span – mix it up!
Plan B and Plan C
Best tool for the job of learning
Email - Brittgow@gmail.com
Twitter - @brittgow
Technoscience blog http://technoscience.global2.vic.gov.au
Digital toolbox –