Eastern Europe Travels 2012Budapest is a tale of twocities, with the Danube Riverdividing Hungary’s capital intotwo parts:The hillsides of Buda on onebank and the flatter Pest to the Elizabeth Platzeast.An older, more charmingEuropean feel is found inBuda, with a layout of narrowcobbled streets and cafestucked into cosy corners. Danube River and Elizabeth Bridge
Chain Bridge Views outside our Hotel Sofitel HotelThe Chain Bridge was designed by the English engineer William TierneyClark in 1839 and was opened in 1849. It has enormous significance in thecountrys economic, social and cultural life.
The lions at each of the Chain Bridge abutments are very similar in design to the famous bronze lions of Trafalgar Square.
A view from our Hotel looking over the ChainBridge to the Buda Castle and St. Matthias Church
A night view of the Buda Castle Hill illuminated in thebackground over the Chain Bridge and Blue Danuberiver. Rising 48 meters above the Danube, the BudaCastle Hill district dominates the city. Buda is the placewhere Budapest was founded.
Cafe Gerbeaud in Pest.The famous Gerbeaud Cafe on Vörösmarty Square in Pest where we had ourdinner on the first night of the tour. In 2008 they celebrated the 150thanniversary of its foundation in 1858.
Views Of Fishermens BastionThe Fishermens Bastion is a terrace in neo-gothic and neo-romanesque stylesituated on the Buda side of the Danube river. It was designed and builtbetween 1895 and 1902 and surrounds Matthias Church. Other restorationwork was carried out after its near destruction during World War II.Its seven towers represent the seven Magyar tribes that settled in theCarpathian Basin in 896.The Bastion takes its name from the guild of fishermenthat was responsible for defending this stretch of the city walls in the MiddleAges
This unique Jewish Synagogue was constructed between 1844-59 alongthe famous Andrassy Boulevard. The second largest synagogue (thelargest stands in New York) in the world can take in 3,000 people. ItsByzantine-Moorish style is a reminder of monuments in the Middle-East. Two onion-shaped domes sit on the twin towers at 43 m height.The towers symbolise the two columns of Solomons Temple.
The Hungarian Opera House construction started in 1875 andopened to the public on the September 27, 1884.It was funded bythe city of Budapest and by Emperor Franz Joseph of Austria andHungary .It opened to the public on the September 27, 1884.