Node's goal is to provide an easy way to build scalable network programs.Node tells the operating system that it should be notified when a new connection is made, and then it goes to sleep. If someone new connects, then it executes the callback. Each connection is only a small heap allocation.
jQuery gives us a great api and it doesn’t restrict how we can structure out applications, this doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t have a nice structureDon’t use jQuery’s namespace, create your own, be your own app
A pure js library that provides the windows metro style for js applicationsProvides the controlsStyle sheets (fonts, margins etc..)Touch interface for win8Helpers, PatternsDesigned for easy toolabilityWinJS is a library not a framework..load whatever pieces you require
A pure js library that provides the windows metro style for js applicationsProvides the controlsStyle sheets (fonts, margins etc..)Touch interface for win8Helpers, PatternsDesigned for easy toolabilityWinJS is a library not a framework..load whatever pieces you requirePromises: Provides a mechanism to schedule work to be done on a value that has not yet been computed. It is an abstraction for managing interactions with asynchronous APIs.
3. What are the issues?• How to we reuse our own libraries?• How do we tackle dependency / module management?• How do we structure our projects?• How do we test our projects?• What tools do we use?
4. What can we gain?• Vast open source community• Mostly platform independent• Some of the fastest Dynamic Language interpreters around*• Reduce language ambiguity
19. Windows 8 Metro - WinJs• App starts like any web page - HTML page loads• HTML page loads its files – WinJS script & styles – Your app’s scripts & styles• Your code wires up to app lifetime events• Start the app• … and events happen
22. Navigation• Multi page (Not recommended in MSDN doco) – Default behavior of browser – Navigation loads a new page – Drops script context – Have to serialize state that gets passed across pages (use WinJS to help)• Single Page – One page as far as browser is concerned – DOM elements changed programmatically – Keeps script context and state for app lifetime – Harder to design an app in a single HTML file
23. Fragments• We want separate HTML files – Easier to design – Easier to maintain• Fragments – Separate files, plus a loader that will bring them in – In ui.js: WinJS.UI.Pages namespace
27. Next Steps July 26, 2012 Building Responsive Mobile Web Applications with MVC4 and HTML5 Thursday, 8:30 AM to 10:30 AM (GMT+1000) Brisbane, Queenslandhttp://html5andmvcdevbrekkieqld.eventbrite.com/
29. With thanks to our sponsors
30. Please complete your feedback forms, and return them to theregistration desk for a chance to win a Nokia Lumia