1. Pimping Your AngelList Proﬁle" Brendan Baker! V2.03.28.10!
2. 1"Build ﬁrst. Pitch second." Itʼs easier to pitch something that exists.! Brendan Baker!
3. 2"Youʼre in a market for funding." Be different. ! Donʼt take it personally. ! Nobody cares about your problems.! Brendan Baker!
4. 3" ASM: Always Show Momentum." (see Glengarry Glen Rossʼs ABC for inspiration)! Venture investors invest in momentum. !Set expectations: ʻweʼre still in private beta but…ʼ ! Use absolute and growth numbers.! Brendan Baker!
5. 4" Youʼre going. They can come if they want." Even if you need their money, you donʼt need their money.!Conviction convinces: use present tense and strong wording. ! Brendan Baker!
6. 5"Your job is to capture their attention." Donʼt tell your life story. ! Focus on memorable highlights.! Brendan Baker!
7. 6"The best info, as concisely as possible." Be focused. ! Second draft = ﬁrst draft – 25%. ! Third draft = second draft – 25%.! Brendan Baker!
8. 7" Give them something to touch right away."Provide a demo with login details or failing that, screenshots. Donʼt rely on a 2 minute demo video. Busy investors wonʼt watch it.! Brendan Baker!
9. 8"80/20: 80% what youʼve done, 20% where youʼre going." Investors extrapolate your past success to predict your future progress. This is different in other pitching contexts.! Brendan Baker!
10. 9"Evidence trumps potential." Every time you call yourself a ʻvisionary,ʼ a puppy dies. !Youʼre not a gamechanger, seasoned professional, innovative, next generation, or any other overused catchphrase.! Brendan Baker!
11. 10" Geeks rule."AngelList is a technical community. Broadcast your geeks.! Brendan Baker!
12. 11"Associate yourself with success." Capture the gold from your investors, ! past employers, customers, etc.! Brendan Baker!
13. 12" Get Help."Ask your advisors, investors and supporters to share your proﬁle, leave comments, vote it up, etc. Social proof is important, and everyone likes a winning team.! Brendan Baker!
14. Thank you. "Thank you for building kick-ass companies.! firstname.lastname@example.org! Brendan Baker!