What this means to you?
• Harder to compete for attention on your own
• Harder to acquire new users (people are
• BUT People are spending more time online
• AND There are more people online
• so how can this help you?
Building a community
from the community
An Ex: theBoaters.com
• Built a NICHE community
• Started seeding it with PPC acquired
trafﬁc (high costs)
• 500 users after 3 weeks ( low
conversion rate on signups)
Theboaters + Facebook
• Created a facebook interface for their
• Accepted facebook logins as their
users (PRE- FB connect)
• Redeﬁned what a facebook app was to
• Grew to 20,000 users in 6 weeks!
What FB Connect can do for you.
• Lower barrier to • Create a facebook
entry for new users “app” so you own
100% of the page
• They bring their views
friends with them.
• Distribute your
• THEY BRING THEIR content to 160 Million
• Syndicate your site • Low customer
interactions to acquisition costs
Yahoo! Open Platform
Microsoft Live login
Social Graph API
Google Friend Connect
What OpenID means
• Dramatically lower your signup
• Millions of users (any Yahoo, MSN,
GMail, MySpace, or AIM username)
• Paired with social graph = $$$$$
• Reduce spam/pre-authenticated
Social Graph & You
• Social portability.
• Bring friend relationships in, and blow
• make it dead simple for your users to
share with their friends.
Social Graph API?
• POTENTIALLY amazing
• Map the relationships between people
• Use the map to ﬁnd new connections
Implementing it all
• Not trivial. No matter what they tell
• A good programmer can tie in your
site to any of these platforms.
• But make sure you think about this
stuff BEFORE starting a site
• Your community is key to your social
• Your community is everywhere (so
you need to go to them)
• You can build any niche from the