RTPT-Real Time Process Tracking System For Manufacturing Environment Specific to Tyre IndustryManufacturing Execution Systems basically fill the gap between an ERP andmachines on the floor. The keyword in a system like MITSis "Execution". An ERP system could do all the planning but if it is notexecuted properly on the floor, it is of no use. It is here that a system likeMITS comes into the picture. NAME: NEERAJ SRIVASTAVA TITLE: COMPANY:
What is RTPT ?• Real Time Process Tracking is a Work Floor Monitoring andReal Time Inventory Tracking System for ManufacturingEnvironment involving multi stages of production cycle.• Co-ordinate operations on the work floor to optimize workfloor activities.• Integration of Production Process with Enterprise Systems• Capture, Process, Validate Real Time Manufacturing Workfloor data, to improve the Manufacturing Process by providingtimely data and alerts for supervisors and Executives to makeReal Time Decisions.
Executive SummaryThe new imperative for inventory control systems is to drive profits and facilitate operational performance.In addition to tracking inventories, it’s also necessary to manage them more efficiently in order to increaseproductivity. Many things must be done to accomplish this objective, however a crucial requirement is theability to design and deploy a system that includes the planning and management of strategic andoperational performances.Progressive manufacturing companies are looking for ways to streamline their process management, whileconsolidating their query, reporting and analysis tools to lower costs, simplify end-user navigation andrespond immediately to ad hoc requests. In order to achieve a flawless execution of operational demands, aresourceful system that enables multiple critical capabilities is essential.Continual Performance Measurement – Human efficiency reporting and analysis as well as productionreporting and analysis are necessary to provide current accurate measurements of performance andproduction.Process Improvement – Performance and production tracking to provide the information needed tominimize bottlenecks and waste, as well as increase production.Efficient Tracking – Automatic inventory tracking, component tracking and inventory location tracking toprovide actionable data to managers when they need it.Integrated Planning and Scheduling of the Manufacturing Floor – Deviations in scheduling should bemanaged in a timely manner to increase production efficiencies and effectiveness.
• Most significant area of value creation.• The shop floor is the area where the purchased raw material is transformed into that special finished product.• The pursuit of improvements is continuous, and often revolves around product quality, production speeds, machine utilization and labor productivity.
• Customers demand first-rate quality, lower costs and rapid delivery.• Global competition requires manufacturers to produce at an unprecedented pace, with reductions in defects, waste and cost.• Production schedules become outdated just minutes after they are released due to changes in customer demand, material availability and labor.• Machine operators struggle to understand the sequence of work to be performed and the availability of component materials needed to complete the work.
• Eliminate the unexpected from production operation.• Foresee issues before they became real manufacturing problems or detect exceptions the moment they occur…instead of spending hours walking the production floor scanning for problems.• Do away with the traditional paper-based shop floor environment and create real-time controls to streamline production.
• Mobile Inventory Tracking System (MITS) is a comprehensive and highly customizable Manufacturing Execution System (MES) which covers all the stages of the Tire Manufacturing process from Mixing till Final Finish.• MITS provides the management and synchronization of production tasks with material flow, labor and machine resources to achieve optimal operating performance and customer satisfaction.• MITS can drastically improve productivity throughout the entire manufacturing process via the reduction of non value-added activities, an increase in data accuracy and enforcement of operational and regulatory procedures.
• Eliminating waste throughout production – overproduction, waiting, unnecessary inventory, defects.• Reducing labor training and production costs• Driving continuous improvement• Helping ensure items are built to specified product quality• Adhering to customer & regulatory requirements• Gaining real-time visibility into the shop floor• Capturing detailed product genealogies
• 1. Import of core data: • Items – all unique raw materials, semi-finished and finished goods • Bills of materials – the inputs required for making a semi- finished or finished good• 2. Work Order Import, Prioritization and Dispatch to the floor.• 3. Recording Production Activity at the work cells – Tag printing with barcodes on Mixing, Calendar, Extrusion, Stock Prep, Beads and Slitting machines. – Real time WIP inventory tracking – Production Counts for PLC enabled machines. – Machine set-up, running and downtime, along with downtime reason codes – Components scrapped, along with scrap reason code assignment – Recipe verification and validation – Generation of payroll data for hourly employees at the end of every shift.
• 4. Capture complete product genology including – Who made it. – With which machine(s) – Which other products were made on the same machine in a given timeframe (in case of defect) – Which materials are in the product – How much scrap was produced – Data to determine cost to make each part – Multi-level lot tracking
• 5. Performance Analysis – Schedule Vs Actual Comparison – Scrap Reporting – Machine Utilization – Operator efficiency – Component Usage• 6. Events and alerts – monitoring mechanisms that alert supervisors and managers to unexpected events, such as underproduction, defective parts or slow production times.
• Accurate job costing and tracking: – MITS captures labor time, machine data, components used and output material completed. – These are all critical in helping calculate the true costs of your production. – Having this data helps you identify areas for improvement and allows you to continuously measure performance against those improvements.• Reducing labor costs: – MITS tells each shop floor operator exactly what to do next. – This helps them prioritize and their work, preventing mistakes and rework along the way. – Every operator or crew using MITS records the time for each work order, allowing supervisors and managers to evaluate performance against standards. – This allows management to better incent and reward the work force, as well as understand when to update the standards to push even better productivity.
• Decreasing cycle times: – MITS provides intelligent work dispatch, accurate production execution, and seamless coordination between material handling and the work cells. – All of this leads to streamlined material flow and lower cycle times.• Enhancing quality: – By helping to ensure that all necessary data is collected, and validating that the results meet appropriate criteria, MITS drives production reporting and quality inspections. – This leads to fewer defective products making it through the process.
• Improving customer satisfaction: – All of the above lead to the most important benefit of all: Pleasing your customers. – By using MITS, you can deliver your products with higher quality, lower costs and better on-time predictability.• Outstanding system configurability: – MITS is highly adaptable and flexible solution that allows you to adapt your software quickly and easily to changing business environments without excessive costs or disruption to ongoing operations - and without modifying source code.
Company: Continental Tyres, Mount Vernon, ILProduction 25,000 tyres/day 2000 plus employee Factors of ROI for Tyre manufacturer Earlier With MITSMachine Downtime (Tire Building Machines) 100-150 mins 75-120 minsScrap Material 4 - 6% 3- 5%Hourly Payroll Approval/Shift (By Shift Supervisors) 45-60 mins/shift 10 - 15 mins/shift 90 - 120 mins - Real-time Availability or (15-WIP Inventory Counts/Shift Manual 30 mins using Scanners)Green Tire Inventory 30 - 60 mins/Shift Real-time availability 15-30 mins (only at Real-time availabilityScheduled vs Actual Production Data the end of shift)Tire Production (Standard Rate vs Actual Rate perMachine)(Data for Industrial Engineering for analyzing End of every shiftmachine efficiency) Not availableBuild Out losses due to Build Out stock being run Noneon a Stock Prep Machine 3-6 times/monthLot Traceability - Tire Defects in Final Finish back Real-time availabilityto Mixing Not availableDetailed Operator/Tire Builder production data withOperation Charge and Operation Number End of every shiftassignment Not availableMachine Uptime/Downtime Data Not available End of every shift
Benefits of MITSEnhanced and Enriched User Interface: MITS provides an enhanced and enriched user interface inhandheld/mobile devices.Customizable Events and alerts: The system is easily customizable to include any events and or alerts basedon manufacturing environment requirements.Collect Relevant, Accurate and Actionable Data: MITS only captures data that is relevant to the actions to becarried out. Since data capture procedures go through different Business Rules implemented at different levels,the data is thoroughly validated and accurate. As data is collected, only the action(s) required can be performedon the captured data, and the dissemination of reporting and analysis documents can be strategically and strictlycontrolled.Pedigree Tracking: System capture of the entire lifecycle of a product and or its components is available at thetouch of a button.Item Tracking of Human and Machine Activity: MITS provides an extensive audit trail of all human andmachine activity.External Device Integration: MITS provides an interface to the system controller to capture the controller datafor interpretations. Integration with barcode printers, label vendors for tagging and RFID scanners isstraightforward and standard.Complete Tracking System: Assorted aspects of the manufacturing process can be tracked through variousstages of the component life cycle. Tracking of item life cycle, process and workflow, human resource activity onan item and recipe for the creation of the item is provided. Items can be tracked at individual and or containerlevels.Online Offline Connectivity: MITS has full functionality both online in wired or wireless networks as well asoffline when a network is not available to the external devices. Data can be synchronized periodically whenrequired, preventing data loss and avoiding disruption of production operations.
ConclusionsA modern inventory tracking system providesa company the means to gain a clear, accurateand timely understanding of its operationalprocesses. When implemented properly, itenables the modeling, measuring andoptimization of all production resources. Itgives managers the tools they need to directand achieve maximum operations andproduction performance.