6. GUITAR PROGRAM Patrick Sweeney (@pcsweeney) Purchased Secondhand Guitars o Others where donations Available for Check-Out Guitar Instructor offered FREE Classes o In exchange was allowed to sell additional classes for one-on-one sessions Soon evolved where kids taught the classes!
7. LASER TAG Ubisoft Laser Tag System Purchased from 1saleaday.com o About $60.00 per set of two Ultimate after hours fun! o Play in the stacks
8. MYSTERY GRAB BAG Purchase different colored paper bags o Each bag is for a different genre of book o Place Barcode number outside of bag May have to write it o Place book inside bag, and staple it close Gets your circ numbers up!
9. ART FOR LIBRARY Justin Hoenke (@JustinLibrarian) Art school students volunteer time Get the highschool kids to attend and make art for the library Their art is displayed – sense of “publication” Low cost to get new, custom, and trendy art for your library. o Oh, and an awesome program!
10. QR CODE SCAVENGER QR Code SCANvenger hunt o Get people to check out e-books o Get people to find new content in library o Get people to explore your library! All easy to set up, smart phone required o Most people own a smart phone!
11. Big Take Aways Use Twitter to connect with vendors o Sifteo – Sent us a Free Set o Sphero – Sent us a Free Set & T-Shirts o Reaper Miniatures – Sent Gift Card for a paint and take o Tweet Out – Get Response! Always ask for better pricing
12. More Big Take Aways Useful Sites o 1saleday.com / Woot.com Deep Discount Sites (often refurbs) o TechSoup.Org o Google Apps – Free Email/Docs/Calendar o Sugar Sync – Cloud Based BackUp
13. Summer Education Kankakee Public Library During summer educational program o Offered Art, Math, Writing, Video Art – Walk through the different art forms through the years Video – Did Claymation Math / Writing – Used iPad apps to engage kids.
14. Video Marketing Chad Mairn (@cmairn) Had students create viral video marketing tools o Purchase cheap inexpensive flip cams We need YOU to help hype YOUR library! We are planning to video record student testimonials regarding the librarys resources and services and would love your input and/or testimonial. And take the video camera away from us! Record your own tour, conduct your own interviews, or do whatever you want to help hype YOUR library.
15. Sphero Ball Use a fun innovative Toy to engage into a conversation o Roll ball around schools to get kids to ask “what is that” Make them know your library is more than just books! Ask us about getting a discount from the $ 130.00 MSRP price
16. Art Gallery Engage the high school and junior high populous and start an art gallery at your library Host an art show Very little cost; except prizes!
17. Miniature Golf Purchase cheap plastic and foam to set up paths and fairways with felt. Have it throughout the library, engage the participants through your space
18. Holiday Display During special holiday periods, find books that are colored the holiday colors (not necessarily about the holiday) and place them on a stand near your end caps o For instance, during Christmas, find green and red books and have them out on your shelves as either endcap displays or on the shelves