Social Media Trends
Where Are You Taking Me?!
Presented to Ryerson University’s #NNS101 Class Nov. 27
Who Am I?
Wanted to be a writer or a journalist
Ended up working online instead!
● Writer/Editor at Torontoist
● Online Editor at National Post
● Community Manager at Huffington Post
A Few Facts About The Huffington Post
● U.S. version one of the largest news sites
online (39-million UVs/monthly)
● Also one of the most 'social' news sites
● Founded in 2005
● Founded in Canada in May 2011, First
International HuffPost site
● Over 4-million UVs/monthly (psst, that's
bigger than the Globe and Mail and
National Post btw)
What Do I Do At HuffPost?
● Social media strategy
● Come up with new ‘social’ ideas for content
● Keep up with best practices and social
● Day-to-day monitoring of our social media
● Train staff on how to use social media tools
So Where's All This Going?
● We're in a massive transition from mass
media to something else...
● From TV, radio, newspapers to...
● Social media, fragmented media, and more
● It's just starting. All of this is quite new
Think Mobile First
● Facebook has +1-billion users, more than
50% access on mobile
● Twitter has always been a mobile
● It's becoming a richer experience (audio,
video, games, location, and e-commerce)
● 45% of Canada's cellphone users are on a
What We're Doing?
● Mobile pages
● HuffPost Live works on mobile and iPad
What We're Doing: HuffPost Live
What is it?
● 15-30 min. segments, 12 hrs/daily
● We're creating conversations around
● The segments gain new life on future
Social Media Is Live
● Brands need to adapt to this
● Think like a newsroom, react quickly and
when things happen
● Give front-line staff leeway and autonomy
● What can happen when things go horribly,
Trend #4: The Social / Second
● Combines 'live' and 'video' in some ways
● Twitter + Nielsen
● Live events are huge! (Oscars, NHL,
Trend #5: Hybrid models.
● It's always existed... Advertorial sections
● And now it's also online
● Both journalists and marketers have to be
vigilant about this
● The reader/user must come first
How We Do It
● Partnerships where they make sense
● A net gain for both advertiser and us
● Editorial integrity is important
What Happens When It Goes
Atlantic's Scientology Scandal
● Loss of credibility
● Hurts your brand
● Controversy and backlash
Trend #6 Location
Some prominent uses for it right now:
● Foursquare, Yelp, Twitter
What's next? Google Glass? Something else?
Trend #7 Wearables
Watches? Google Glass?
How are we going to push content to these
devices? What’s that going to look like?
Follow me on twitter @boyreporter
The Huffington Post Canada