Social Media Monitoring: Presentation on Social Media Monitoring: Why and How
Social Media Monitoring
Director of ProductDirector of Product
October 4, 2010
The Basic Questions
• Why Monitor?
• Where to Monitor?
• What to Monitor?
• How to Monitor?• How to Monitor?
Influence/Influencers: blogs, tweets, facebook pages
Volume: the amount of buzz out there.
Workflow: process of tracking, responding, etc.
- Knowing what people are saying about you
- Identify evangelists
- See who is defending you and who is attacking you
- Track what people are saying about your competition
- Detect market shifts
- Detect people in need
- React in a timely fashion when a reaction is needed
What to Monitor?
• Company name
• Product name(s)
• Key exec names• Key exec names
• Competition and name of their execs
Where to Monitor
• Client cyber hangouts
• Potential client cyber hangouts
• Leading blogs
• Leading Podcasts• Leading Podcasts
Google Alerts: must do.
Twitter Advanced Search
Social mentionSocial mention
Icerocket: powerful but not easy to use
• Action• Action
• Place: Facebook/Twitter/Forum?
• Time: how old is the item?
• Companies are doing a lousy job exploiting information right under
– Support calls
– Sales calls
– Filled out forms
– Emails to execs
• Companies are not engaging their clients:
– Clients like to express themselves
– Clients will reach out to you first with complaints
– Great opportunity to discover discontent and to preempt public
– Clients hate being ignored
• How do you convert information into action?
– Example of someone raving about you
• The Mobility dimension: bricks and mortars are back. Geolocation. Back to
• Customers are listening to each other and are tuning out marketing
• Key to success is becoming a resource to others: content marketing. Create
• Monitoring is about detecting movement and action as well as content
• The focus should be on the customer not on the company
• Web 2.0 is about democratizing publishing. Web 3.0 is about democratizing
data mining of all the content that's getting published out there.
• Why do companies create a facebook page/tweet
– Everyone is doing it: many feel it's a fad...
– The few who are doing it right see them as a tool