Report of Research oriented OSS
• Finding out the saffolding that the teacher
needed in the classroom process of English.
• Getting a clear idea of the process of giving
• To develop the ability of the trainers for
conducting research oriented oss.
• Ensuring social support in school accademic
• Designing teacher empowerment effectively.
• A BRC Review and planning
meeting has been conducted on
8/7/2010 to design the OSS.
• In the meeting all the trainers
and resource teachers attended
and discussed to conduct the
research oriented oss smoothly.
• Schools were selected and take
decision to inform all the schools
about this programme.
• Team - English
P A John Bosco,BRC Trainer
T Joy,BRC Trainer
Mary Jaisy,Resource Teacher
Date Name of School
Total No.of pupils Total SC/ST Total CWSN Total Minority
B G B G B G B G
21/07/10LFUPS Cherthala 19 25 0 0 0 0 0 0 44
22/07/10GHSS Cherthala South 14 25 1 1 39
23/07/10HFLPGS Muttom 0 32 1 1 0 2 32
26/07/10St.Augustine's HS Mararikulam 26 17 0 1 43
Total 59 99 2 3 0 2 0 0 158
• The schools the team visited and the
Mode of study and OSS
●The team members discussed with the Headmaster
and the teachers of std.IV about the OSS that the
team intended to do.
●One of the team members presented the tool to the
children with the help of narrtion.
●After finished the test the answer scripts were
valued,graded and consolidated by the team
●In SRG meeting the findings were shared with the
5.Analysis of study
Activity 1(Reading aloud)
This activity was meant for checking the students'
ability to read.
L1-Reads clearly and fluently
L2-Reads with difficulty but complete the task of
L3-Reads with the teachers help
L4-Cannot read at all
Result in all category-
●In the area reading aloud pupils are in
●Boys are comparetively better than the
●In the category of SC/ST students 60%
are in L3 position.
●Boys of Urban area are in a good position
in reading.But in rural area both the boys
and girls have to be improved.
L1-Reflection of the content comprehended
from individual reading fully.
L2-Reflection of the content comprehended
from individual reading partially
➢In the area reading comprehension pupils are
not in a fair stage.Majority of the pupils are in
➢L2 level that means they can only comprehend
the idea behind the text partially.
➢15% of the students remain in a stage that
they could not reflect any idea.Inability to write
➢may be one of the reasons for this.
➢Pupils in rural area are far better than the
pupils in urban area.The L1 level of rural
children is 46% and the urban children is 22%.
Assessment of Discourse writing
L1-Write sentences meaningfully
L2-Write only few words
L3-Write only some alphabets/did not
attempt for writing
●In the area discourse writing majority of
students are in L2 level that means writing
only few words.
●Comparetively Girls are making discourse
better than boys.
●45% of boys and 25% of girls in rural area
belongs to L1 level where as in urban area it is
11 and 13 respectively.
● Though the pupils seemed to listen to the
narrative,majority of them could not follow the
● They were merely guessing the idea from
gestures and expressions.It may be correct or
● At the time of interaction before making
discourse the teacher had to spend more time
to clear these problems.
● Many of the students could read the passage
keeping good pronunciation,stress and
● There are some students in our
classrooms those who cannot read and
● Research oriented OSS will give the clear
picture about our classroom processes
and current level of the children and it will
lead to plan our activities realistically.
● If the OSS team assess the pupils
periodicaly,make reports and share it with
teachers wiil help to increase the quality of
● Narrative can be used as a connecting link to all
discourses and activites.
● At the same time teachers must be sensitized for
using other triggers such as pictures,animated
● If it is developed for the teachers will be helpful
for better comprehension and language
generation.And it can be addressed in training
● Periodical assessment of children and seeking
remedies on the part of OSS must be continued.
● The periodical assessment will be helpful for the
teachers to realize the facts and for the trainers
to find out what help should they provide in the
● Extra reading materials in English must be
developed for the students.It will be helpful for
leading them to read and write easily.
● School wise English clubs and reader's&writers
forum should be functioned in all schools.
● Additional activiies like creative
workshops,camps etc must be conducted for
sc/st,minority and CWSN students.
Follow up Activities
● Organizing and well functioning of English
clubs in all schools
● Preparing remedial packages for those who
cannot read and write English
● Periodical assessment in the part of OSS will
● The merrits of the students will be shared with
● Innovative programmes such as creative
reading and writing workshops will be
conducted in school level.
● More Try out classes and success evidences
must be exhibited in trainings.