What is Social Media ?
•What is Social Media?
•What can Social Media can do for your
•Case Study- ‘the power of Twitter’
•What are the first steps to get my company
What is Social Media ?
“the online technologies and
practices that people use to share
content, opinions, insights,
experiences, perspectives, and
media themselves”( Wikipedia)
Social media tools can include:
social networks communities
forums social bookmarks
podcasts message boards
video sharing sites photo sharing sites
How Relevant is Social Media
• 100,000,000 videos on YouTube
• 200,000,000 Blogs
• 73% of active online users have used a blog
• 57% have joined a social network
• 83% have uploaded videos
• 55% have uploaded photos
What has changed?
Interruption Based Permission Based
Direct mail Blogging
Email Blasts Social Media
Printed Ads RSS Feeds
TV Free Trails/Tools
Radio Viral Videos
It Looks to Complicated to Understand?
"Getting up to speed on social media is like
learning to ride a bike; it's difficult and
intimidating at first, but once you get the hang of
it you can get where you want to go quickly - and
even enjoy the ride."
- Columnist Steve McKee,
Business Week Magazine, Jan. '09in "Why Social Media is Worth Small
Business Owners' Time."
So How does Social Media Work?
See it as a ‘business networking’
Meet people-start conversations
Answer questions – help others
Ask Questions – trust others advice
Social Media is ‘engagement’
• Social Media helps people engage in
conversation about a product/service, identify
research, reviews( trip advisor).
• It is an open forum whereby people engage
Companies ignore this phenomena at their peril!
How can Social Media help my
• Generate qualified leads
• Increase subscribers to newsletter
• Generate exposure to your product/services
• Improved ranking in Search Engines
• Build new business partnerships
• Use what your customers are saying to improve your
Can Your product/Service be
• When a potential customer is researching about your
product/service, can they find you on:
• Discussion Sites ( Blogs etc)
• Photo sharing site ( Flickr etc)
• Video Sharing Sites (Youtube etc)
• Article Sharing Sites (Digg etc)
• Social/Business networking sites(Facebook, etc)
Case Study – The Shower Guys
• Used ‘twitter’ campaign to drive traffic to their blog
• Daily added a different picture of a part of a shower
being held, to their blog
• Asked for people to ‘identify’ the name of the part
• Targeted small/medium size businesses in area
following them on twitter.( and reciprocal)
• Correct answer receives a prize
RESULT: increased company name awareness
leading to new orders & requests for seminars in
‘how to use Social Media’
Companies that have engaged and
benefited from client’s opinions:
• Proctor & Gamble
See: “The Future of Competion-Co-creating Unique value with
Customers” by Prahalad & Ramaswamy
How do I Start?
If you have a brand name or company name( or major keyword) that is
important, register it with as many sites as possible
Start by creating profiles/business page on:
www.youtube.com i.e www.youtube.com/farmercopleys
www.flickr.com i.e. www.flickr.com/farmercopleys
Thank You for Listening
• For more information on:
• How to create a Facebook ‘business page’
• How to create a blog
• Future articles( How to set up ‘Flickr/YouTube’ etc)
go to : http://companies.to/wsi-internet-consultants
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.