Women and the Open Web
7 Sept 2013 | PUP Sta. Mesa
HELLO! I’m Faye.
• Industrial engineering
• Mozilla Rep since 2011
• Web enthusiast
• Systems and
procedures staff in a car
3C’s of Open Source
standards to the
How to do it
•Using open source Web frameworks, tools
•Contribute by reporting bugs in open web
•Join communities and help educate others
Firefox Student Ambassadors
WHERE DO WOMEN COME IN?
•Over 50% of humans are women
•Half of your potential users are women
….and yet there is a low presence of
women in open web initiatives.
• Mitchell Baker
Mozilla Chief Lizard Wrangler
Chairperson of Mozilla Foundation
Chairperson and former CEO of Mozilla Corporation
• Increase gender diversity in Mozilla communities
• Improve visibility and involvement of women in
• Empower women in the industry
HOW CAN WOMEN
HOW CAN WOMEN CONTRIBUTE?
• Bugs reporting
• Events organization
• And the list goes on…
HOW TO GET WOMEN
How to get women involved?
•No sexist jokes
•Make women feel expected
on events (like this!)
What will we do?
• Recruit women the WoMoz initiative in the
• Organize events together!
• Improve the online presence of the cause!
• Join tech events and promote the cause
• Promote Mozilla Reps/Student Reps to women
ANYONE CAN JOIN.
Regardless of age, gender, industry, ANYTHING!
Join the WoMoz initiative
• Mailing List (email@example.com )
Subscribe through http://bit.ly/womozlist
• Wiki (https://wiki.mozilla.org/WoMoz)
• Twitter (@womozilla)
My Contact Details